• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Beergate 2.0
13 days of front page headlines by The Mail, Trying to convince everyone that what Starmer did was as illegal as what Johnson and his cohorts did in No10.

tavyred

Beergate 2.0
Maybe, but she’s presenting as being awfully defensive IMO. She’s exuding quite obvious “Sh1t, the bar stewards have got me!” vibes.
Hope she survives, she’s terrible.

Mr Jinx

** Cough, Cough, Putin, Ukriane Cough, Cough ** :)
Yep, caught me by surpise. I didn't he think he was that stupid.

Even Sleepy had the time of the invasion in his Outlook calendar.

Not exactly worked out well for him, has it.

Grecian2K

Oh deary deary me
Can't even get the paperwork right for their "Great White Hope" for metropolitan power in just one election. 🤣
Who is Jigzy going to vote for now? 😭

angelic upstart

Ange Rayner wriggling a bit. 🤣
So she should be. I don't believe for a minute she didn't live with her husband.

So she should be. I don't believe for a minute she didn't live with her husband.
The excellent Dan Niedle has an article on his Tax Policy Associates website on the Rayner position. It suggests that IF there is wrongdoing (which there may not be) then the actual tax involved is likely to be about 3k max - hardly non-dom stuff.

The rules on this are, as so much of UK tax, fiendish and AR claims to have acted in good faith and on advice, which she may well have.

Of course as a Labour politican she has to hold herself to higher standards than the other side so as to satisfy the rabid right-wing press who will jump on any hint of indiscretion (and how they must be hating the fact that John Curtice has quoted a 99% chance of Labour forming the next government).

It also won't help that she dares to be a working class woman who steadfastly refuses to 'know her place'. How dare she have houses, money etc - that's for that nice Mr Johnson, not plebs like her.

Hopefully she will take the appropriate advice and if there is something to be rectified, do so, and move on with being a key player in the forthcoming government. We are not talking complex tax schemes or multi million pound frauds here people.

Isn't is also amazing how quickly we've forgotten that an actual Tory Chancellor was up to his neck in serious HMRC bother fairly recently (and trust me, he was definitely up to his neck in it).

Mr Jinx

Isn't is also amazing how quickly we've forgotten that an actual Tory Chancellor was up to his neck in serious HMRC bother fairly recently (and trust me, he was definitely up to his neck in it).
Are we talking Mr Hammond and the naked sushi affair?

Are we talking Mr Hammond and the naked sushi affair?
More recent...

Mid Devon Grecian

More recent...
Jinxy’s memory must be failing. We’ve got Zahawi and his ‘family trust’, “I wasn’t aware I was under investigation” episode. Now we’ve got Jeremy “soz I forgot I owned a load of flats” Hunt at the helm.

So many crooks even their sycophantic followers can’t keep up!

Alistair20000

The simple solution for the Red Queen is to publish the “tax advice”

I see she is ducking, deflecting and weaving by saying she is not going to put out all her personal details of the last 15 years of her family.

O.K. Ange why not redact appropriately but let’s see the substance of the advice. In the interests of transparency like.