• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Talking of Rwanda

tavyred

Let's send half of them to Rwanda, thus filling our quota for the entire year. That'll stop the buggers coming...
Yep.
You still don’t get the deterrent effect of offshoring.😎
As someone broadly supportive of Rwanda you quite rightly confront me with aspects of that policy, as someone supportive of Labour, can I ask you when Labour are in Government and state they won’t be housing asylum seekers in expensive Hotels or in demeaning barges or army camps, would you care to speculate where they will accommodate them?
The Labour spoxsmen wouldnt say when asked, would you care to help him out?

arthur

Probably because, being a white middle classed straight male who doesn't live in Islington, Labour hate him.
Quite amazing that Labour have so many people prepared to vote for them, given that they seem to hate vast swathes of the population. But then I suppose you will tell me that white middle class males are a small minority of the population whose numbers are dwarfed by those of immigrants, transpeople, Muslims, the wokerati, lefty lawyers, inhabitants of certain north London Boroughs and divers Vineyards, all of whom represent Labour's core vote. You used to be unpleasant and interesting, now you've just gone weird...

arthur

Yep.
You still don’t get the deterrent effect of offshoring.😎
How will people be deterred by the threat if Rwanda once the annual quota has been used up? Or will they send just 33 a month (400/12) throughout the year, just to keep the deterrent effect alive? If a thousand people arrive per month, that's a 3% chance of being sent to Rwanda which is probably a lower figure than that for drowning in the Channel

And you still don't get my argument that you might sit in Tavistock and make what to you is a rational calculation of the odds of a negative outcome and act accordingly, but desperate asylum seekers don't apply the same cool logic. It's exactly the same mentality as those who say "anyone caught carrying a knife should get 5 years in prison, first offence, unsuspended". All sounds like good common sense, but it just doesn't work, because young men who carry knives think completely differently from Daily Mail leader writers..

arthur

As someone broadly supportive of Rwanda you quite rightly confront me with aspects of that policy, as someone supportive of Labour, can I ask you when Labour are in Government and state they won’t be housing asylum seekers in expensive Hotels or in demeaning barges or army camps, would you care to speculate where they will accommodate them?
The Labour spoxsmen wouldnt say when asked, would you care to help him out?
Above my pay grade Tavy - it's up to politicians to make proposals, and then I'll decide whether I like them or not :)

Grecian2K

Reform also now polling ahead of the Conservatives in Northern England and the Tory candidate for the Greater Manchester Mayoral election defects to Reform this morning.
Ouch!!
Wonder if the ghastly Mrs Hall will be the next rat to desert the sinking Torytanic to further her dreams of metropolitan glory.
I'm sure that, at very least, it would secure the Jigz vote.

Alistair20000

It's exactly the same mentality as those who say "anyone caught carrying a knife should get 5 years in prison, first offence, unsuspended". All sounds like good common sense, but it just doesn't work, because young men who carry knives think completely differently from Daily Mail leader writers.
If they were banged up for 5 years they might think differently.

Alistair20000

Above my pay grade Tavy - it's up to politicians to make proposals, and then I'll decide whether I like them or not :)
art ducks the question (n)

Alistair20000

Another entirely made up figure. I suppose I am now expected to trawl through all the Caldwell out posts up to and including January 1st in order to prove you wrong. I am not going to
It might be made up but it is probably somewhere near correct if you look at the polling in the Caldwell out thread. Changed now of course such is the fickle nature of football fans but at one point I think it got to over 70% out. Seems reasonable to assume a lot of those feared we would be relegated.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
If they were banged up for 5 years they might think differently.
Need to get investing then Al. Too many deterrents, and not enough places to enforce.
Apart from that it’s an excellent plan.