• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looks like we're not the only one having hissy fits about the national football shirt. :)

Mr Jinx

Looks like we're not the only one having hissy fits about the national football shirt. :)

Yeah, but it's not as if they've changed the German eagle into a pink flamingo. Well, not yet anyway.

DB9

Yeah, but it's not as if they've changed the German eagle into a pink flamingo. Well, not yet anyway.
TBH i couldn't give a fig, My gripe with the new England shirt is the price, Sod that i'd pay over £120 for a football shirt, That's what the politicians should be going on about imo.

Alistair20000

There are 900k total job vacancies in the UK and 4M on out of work benefits with no requirement to look for work, and you want self sufficient, tax paying retirees to fill the gaps? 🤷‍♂️
Where did I say I wanted tax paying self sufficient retirees to fill the gap ? My question is how the gap is to be filled with those folk not working ?

tavyred

Where did I say I wanted tax paying self sufficient retirees to fill the gap ? My question is how the gap is to be filled with those folk not working ?

Then who were you referencing when you mentioned the swathes of comfortably off people, not on benefits and who didn’t need to work? Aren’t people in that particular cohort if they’re of working age to all intents and purposes retired from the world of work?
Apologies if I’ve misunderstood the point you were making.

Mr Jinx

TBH i couldn't give a fig, My gripe with the new England shirt is the price, Sod that i'd pay over £120 for a football shirt, That's what the politicians should be going on about imo.
So politicians should be concerned about the price of a football shirt, when they're letting 1 million people into the country a year?

All about priorities I suppose.

DB9

So politicians should be concerned about the price of a football shirt, when they're letting 1 million people into the country a year?

All about priorities I suppose.
Trust you to twist it around to your thinking.

Alistair20000

Then who were you referencing when you mentioned the swathes of comfortably off people, not on benefits and who didn’t need to work? Aren’t people in that particular cohort if they’re of working age to all intents and purposes retired from the world of work?
Apologies if I’ve misunderstood the point you were making.
We may be at cross purposes. The folk you mention are perfectly at liberty to do as they please. They are paying taxes and not drawing benefits. Your point appeared to be that a significant number in the workforce had changed their lifestyles: retiring early etc. Again no issue with that.

My point is that if they are not working we need to find other people to do the work and I can see nothing to suggest that this government or the next will cure the culture of idleness of those not in work who are not genuinely ill. art will no doubt box my ears for this comment as being a nasty old uncaring Torygraph reading buffer but I am not buying into the idea that all these folk really are ill. We have always had the skivers of course. I found it wearisome when working for the Inland Revenue that the usual suspects took another 6 weeks a year off sick to top up their leave with such conditions as nervous debility, hypertension, tension state and yes this next one really does take the biscuit "tiredness." Odd that they all got better just before it was time to be examined by the Inland Revenue doctor with him potentially retiring them on ill health grounds. I reckon we have even more of this type nowadays.

So the gap will be filled by adopting the lazy solution: immigration. Unless you see a different solution.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I went into the Villa shop 9 days ago, as I was early for the Europa Conference game between Villa and Ajax, and was supposed to be entertaining a customer at the game. Shirts were reduced from £125 to £115. Kids were barely anything less. Add in that the shirts are sh1te, and they’ve already ended the contract early… 🤮🤮🤮

tavyred

So the gap will be filled by adopting the lazy solution: immigration. Unless you see a different solution.
The solution is simple but requires that thing that seems to be rather lacking in our political class in recent years.
Its called a ‘spine’. 🤷‍♂️