• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

lamrobhero

I was amused when a Newquay hotelier complained about the difficulty he was having in attracting staff because of local housing costs. The market solution is that he should increase his wages if that is not possible without making his business insolvent then he should close down his business.
Growing inequality makes participation in society more difficult and that includes particpation in the labour market.
As Marx might have said selling your labour in a capitalist society is an alienating experience.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're making everything far too complicated. The situation is quite simple - just stop these people's benefits as Alistair, in his wisdom, has told us. Why do you persist in making excuses for these workshy scroungers? Don't you realise that employers are queuing up to offer them jobs, if only they'd get off their fat arses? Bleeding heart liberals like you, with your irritating facts and stupid questions, just make me sick. I want my country back..
Oh dear.

Alistair20000

Now who needs to 'get real'?
People who refuse to accept that there are idle feckers in this country who do not want to work.

cannockred

I was amused when a Newquay hotelier complained about the difficulty he was having in attracting staff because of local housing costs. The market solution is that he should increase his wages if that is not possible without making his business insolvent then he should close down his business.
Growing inequality makes participation in society more difficult and that includes particpation in the labour market.
As Marx might have said selling your labour in a capitalist society is an alienating experience.
Wow, that's a solution. Make himself unemployed and not receive benefits.

Real blue sky thinking. You could also add using the guest house as housing for the unemployed and kill 2 birds with one stone.

As engels never said 'total ********'

lamrobhero

Wow, that's a solution. Make himself unemployed and not receive benefits.

Real blue sky thinking. You could also add using the guest house as housing for the unemployed and kill 2 birds with one stone.

As engels never said 'total ********'
I said that it was the market solution interesting how limited Government individual repsonsibility advocates change their mind when it suits.

Mid Devon Grecian

People who refuse to accept that there are idle feckers in this country who do not want to work.
There always has been and there always will be. I’d rather have my life than theirs but that doesn’t mean I don’t think we should provide a basic existence for them.

What’s your solution? Forced labour camps or just let em starve?

cannockred

There always has been and there always will be. I’d rather have my life than theirs but that doesn’t mean I don’t think we should provide a basic existence for them.

What’s your solution? Forced labour camps or just let em starve?
Dont be so bloody emotive. 😂

Do you remember the good old days when people lived according to their means?

In society today, the consumer society, people want everything now. And they are not prepared to give up anything for it.

Incredible how many people on minimum wages have all the latest tech whilst they are queuing up at the food banks.

Successive governments have told them that they have an entitlement but not that with that entitlement comes responsibility.

Mid Devon Grecian

Dont be so bloody emotive. 😂

Do you remember the good old days when people lived according to their means?

In society today, the consumer society, people want everything now. And they are not prepared to give up anything for it.

Incredible how many people on minimum wages have all the latest tech whilst they are queuing up at the food banks.

Successive governments have told them that they have an entitlement but not that with that entitlement comes responsibility.
I do remember the good old days when there was plentiful council housing, the primary school provided nourishing meals for all regardless of means, you knew your doctor and they had time for a chat, families lived closer to each other and were a support mechanism.

Times have changed, maybe you haven’t noticed.

A smart phone is a necessity, not a luxury. Literally every organisation you deal with can only effectively be accessed through online/app. Yes, even applying for a job!

elginCity

….Times have changed, maybe you haven’t noticed…..
How could he notice from his rural finca or is it urb villa ?! :)

Cannock will remember NHS dentists from the good old days, nowadays rarer than hen’s teeth.

angelic upstart

The 20 year old should be perfectly capable of finding a job. After all there is a million of them.

Whether he can find a job that pays a grand a week for 15 hours work, the job that he really wants, is open to debate.

If someone is willing to work in a job that is vacant then I have no issues with supporting him to a reasonable lifestyle.

There are far too many people who have no intention of working because of liberal governments handing them everything on a plate and making working for a living unviable.
What about those that live in very rural areas and cannot drive. But also cannot afford to learn as they don't work? There's literally tens of thousands of these people dotted all around our green and pleasant land. The forgotten people.

I lived in Kingston in South Devon and this was a widespread issue amongst the yoof back in 2000. Today, it has no bus service, a taxi could take villagers to nearby Modbury but that only runs on Tuesdays and Fridays. The nearest town with any proper employment option is Kingsbridge which is roughly 11 miles away and even then the employment options are extremely limited.

Do we really want a repeat of what has happened in Spain, where all the villages throughout the country have a few old people and no jobs as everyone has to move to a city.