• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
You have echoed my post #59,936 - great minds and all that!
I am still waiting for evidence that there are people happy to survive on £85 per week rather than get a job...

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am still waiting for evidence that there are people happy to survive on £85 per week rather than get a job...
Happy might be the wrong word. But culturally engrained to live off benefits and without any role model or the wherewithal to jump back into working life; those people definitely exist in this country.

Of course on the female side of this the prohibitive cost of childcare essentially means that any woman who comes from a poor background and has a kid whilst they're young is essentially caught in the benefit trap until it's too late.

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Have you ever been to Sidmouth?
Does breaking into the folk festival to watch Bad Manners count? I've had some quality nights out there funnily enough.

Sidmouth has bus links to the capital city of Devon, so no excuses re not getting a job. East Devon is teeming with jobs in comparison to South Devon

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does breaking into the folk festival to watch Bad Manners count?
Technically that was Carribean Night, not the folk festival :)

angelic upstart

FWIW, my mum has never done a days work in her life and just looked after her children at the taxpayers expense. When I was about 10 and I noticed that her mental health was perhaps not very good, I asked why she didn't get a job (I was working at this age!) and at the time she said it wasn't worth leaving us nippers to fend for ourselves for £20 a week. Which the extra she'd have earned.

I've spent plenty of time on the dole when either in between jobs or doing cash in hand work. I've turned up to the dole office to sign on in work gear and they didn't give a monkeys.

I know all you middle class types will sneer at this but it's normal to do this.

angelic upstart

Technically that was Carribean Night, not the folk festival :)
IIRC I had 3 litres of Stonehouse Cider before climbing a tree and somehow not falling out of it, so my memory of the night isn't perhaps as good as it could be !

DB9

When campaigning to become Mayor of London, It does help if you're using images, Use images of London and not New York! :)

Radio Free Skaro

Does breaking into the folk festival to watch Bad Manners count? I've had some quality nights out there funnily enough.

Sidmouth has bus links to the capital city of Devon, so no excuses re not getting a job. East Devon is teeming with jobs in comparison to South Devon
According to google maps it's well a 6 over a hour round trip from Brixham to Sidmouth , and for example if you were to leave Sidmouth at 17.10 today you would not get back to Brixham until 21.14 ! So maybe not that practical in terms of logistics and costs.
As most of the jobs on offer would be low paid and in the (elderly ) care sector or hospitality where long shifts often finishing late at night would be expected, which would make it even more difficult to use public transport to get from one side of Devon to the other.

Also not sure what you mean by South Devon , Plymouth , Torbay ? However , I can confirm that in both Plymouth and Torbay the unemployment rate is low at just over 3% ....

arthur

I've spent plenty of time on the dole when either in between jobs or doing cash in hand work. I've turned up to the dole office to sign on in work gear and they didn't give a monkeys.

I know all you middle class types will sneer at this but it's normal to do this.
Then you weren't living solely off benefits, you were defrauding the system . As I said before, that is an entirely different matter and, regardless of my social class, I am fully aware that that goes on. But that wasn't the question I was asking.

I remain to be convinced that a fit, healthy person would chose to live on £85 per week (after housing costs)

Grecian2K

Oh deary deary me.
Two more rodents grabbing their seat on the Tory Titanic lifeboat.
Two ministers quit in double blow to Rishi Sunak (msn.com)
Can Wishi-Rishi make it until after the Easter recess I wonder?