• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
So to be clear, in your view, Judaism is an ethnic religion. But religion is made up if it's Islam or Christianity.

As per your post 60,383
No mate, they all believe in ‘sky fairies’ it’s just that Judaism is a religion attached to a specific race of people.
I thought you had family ties to Jewish people. This is quite basic stuff with respect.

angelic upstart

No mate, they all believe in ‘sky fairies’ it’s just that Judaism is a religion attached to a specific race of people.
I thought you had family ties to Jewish people. This is quite basic stuff with respect.
You're correct, my nan was an Ashkenazi Jew. One of the many subsects of being Jewish. Which is exactly why it isn't a race. An Ashkenazi Jew, is basically, a European Jew. https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/types-of-jews/ there have been Central African based Jews for centuries.

My nan, wouldn't say her race was Jewish, she would quite clearly and obviously, have been white. Her religion was clearly Jewish, she wouldn't touch the pork and loved a bit of Kosher/Halal food - I purposely write Kosher/Halal as there's very little difference but one is much more maligned than the other - https://www.diffen.com/difference/Halal_vs_Kosher

I find it strange that anyone would consider a religious group so wide and varied as Judaism to be a race.

angelic upstart

And, is there really that much difference between those three religions anyway?
Agreed, al the main religions are massively interlinked. It's worth noting Judaism is the only religion that doesn't believe Jesus Christ was the son of God. Jesus himself, was a Jew. I think, my religious knowledge is poor.

tavyred

You're correct, my nan was an Ashkenazi Jew. One of the many subsects of being Jewish. Which is exactly why it isn't a race. An Ashkenazi Jew, is basically, a European Jew. https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/types-of-jews/ there have been Central African based Jews for centuries.

My nan, wouldn't say her race was Jewish, she would quite clearly and obviously, have been white. Her religion was clearly Jewish, she wouldn't touch the pork and loved a bit of Kosher/Halal food - I purposely write Kosher/Halal as there's very little difference but one is much more maligned than the other - https://www.diffen.com/difference/Halal_vs_Kosher

I find it strange that anyone would consider a religious group so wide and varied as Judaism to be a race.
You know Ashkenazi Jews are European based Jews who moved to Europe from the Middle East? Ergo they’re ethnically Jewish. 🤷‍♂️

Grecian2K

Agreed, al the main religions are massively interlinked. It's worth noting Judaism is the only religion that doesn't believe Jesus Christ was the son of God. Jesus himself, was a Jew. I think, my religious knowledge is poor.
Good point au. I'm not theologically inclined (and can't be ar$ed to look) but I'd take guess that generations of Hindus, Buddhists, Shinto etc had even heard of JC or even "Big Mo" before the "west" moved in to plunder.
And, as for "Jedi", I'm sure that they are Independent!
Still, for anyone still determined to seek out their own preferred "Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man"* the ONS from the last census offers an entire smorgasbord of choices.
*Definition courtesy of Mr P Gabriel and Genesis, c.1971

angelic upstart

You know Ashkenazi Jews are European based Jews who moved to Europe from the Middle East? Ergo they’re ethnically Jewish. 🤷‍♂️
What of the Ethiopian Jews that have been their for thousands of years?
Or the Sephardim, or the mizrahim?

Grecian2K

Equally this could apply to many of the European based Muslims who have moved to Europe from the Middle East.
By the same logic they could be considered "ethnically Islamic"? 🙄
PS: I might politely suggest that you put your shovel away for a little while and pause from digging more trenches on this particular front line of the "Great Woke War".
I'm sure, if you ask him nicely your old mate Al may send you a copy of his best selling self help manual "The Theory Of Holes"!

Spoonz Red E

When it comes to origin stories we're all African.

They feck you up these arbitrary way points and power structures imbued with the resonance of previous conflicts and the authority of priests and shamans with the closest ears to the words of 'gods'.

Still - globalisation eh?

It's not as if we live on a globe.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here you go Tavy, a link from the aptly named "My Jewish Learning" website

tavyred

What of the Ethiopian Jews that have been their for thousands of years?
Or the Sephardim, or the mizrahim?
You seem to be confusing where Jews end up with where they originally came from. 🤷‍♂️
I have to say I’m finding this group ignorance about Jews more than a little concerning.