• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
In fairness, on first reading I thought you were referring to homosexuals when you said "these people". After reading it again I gave you the benefit of the doubt.
In fairness too, I thought it was obvious he was referring to politicians.

tavyred

As you are struggling with the concept of agreeing with an Observer columnist perhaps you could ask Kemi Badenoch to help you

Business Secretary Kemi Badenoch, a Conservative rising star, has argued the government instead prefers the term “anti-Muslim hatred” — and argued that those pushing for an official definition of Islamophobia risked creating “a blasphemy law via the back door.”
I thought it might be obvious by now that I no longer take my political cues from the Conservatives Art.
From memory the issues around the Government struggling to settle on an Islamophobia definition as promised has centred around government lawyers expressing their concerns about how you separate perhaps savage criticism of a religion with that of an individual who happens to be muslim and/or a person of colour.

NB. You get I understand that a lot of Moslems (maybe a majority?) would like to see any criticism of ‘The Prophet Mohammed’ himself covered by any Islamophobia legislation.
It’s a legal minefield.

Last edited:

elginCity

I think it might be useful if you could cite the specific language that could be used to illustrate your argument.
I personally can’t see any.
The demonstrations calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza were held throughout the world, a sentiment supported by 2/3 of UK people according to yougov. In response to those demos - Braverman's comment from art's linked politico article above - “Islamists, the extremists and the anti-Semites are in charge now.”

The Uk govt's own definition of anti-semitism includes "Holding Jews collectively responsible for actions of the state of Israel.
However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
In fairness too, I thought it was obvious he was referring to politicians.
It wasn't clear to me, but, as I said, I gave the benefit of the doubt.

lamrobhero

However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other (democratic?) country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."
The definition that I have seen has the above addition.

tavyred

The demonstrations calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza were held throughout the world, a sentiment supported by 2/3 of UK people according to yougov. In response to those demos - Braverman's comment from art's linked politico article above - “Islamists, the extremists and the anti-Semites are in charge now.”

The Uk govt's own definition of anti-semitism includes "Holding Jews collectively responsible for actions of the state of Israel.
However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."
Conflating Jews with the actions of Israel is unlawful as you say, you think a British Moslem being called an Islamist should be afforded the same protection?
Wow, that would open a massive can of worms Elgy.
Have you thought that through to its natural conclusion?

tavyred

It wasn't clear to me, but, as I said, I gave the benefit of the doubt.
No benefit of the doubt required, you were 100% wrong. 👍

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
No benefit of the doubt required, you were 100% wrong. 👍
No, I wasn't wrong. Had I immediately accused you of homophobia I'd have been wrong. I didn't know, because the post wasn't clear to me. Therefore I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

tavyred

No, I wasn't wrong. Had I immediately accused you of homophobia I'd have been wrong. I didn't know, because the post wasn't clear to me. Therefore I gave you the
It’s the curse of progressives to view everything through the prism of identity I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s the curse of progressives to view everything through the prism of identity I suppose. 🤷‍♂️
200.gif