• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poor Old Jeff.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster

All the way to GUISELEY just to lose in the 92nd minute.

It's too far....

TOO FAR!!!!!

DB9

Knew there was a Jeff Stelling thread somewhere, He's leaving Soccer Saturday at the end of the season after nearly 30 years, Good bloke Jeff, Always makes the show entertaining.

dontpassback

That’s a shame,one of the better sports hosts,but 25 years is a good stint,but it won’t be the same after he has gone,I just hope they don’t get some clown like paddy mcguinness to replace him

grecIAN Harris

That’s a shame,one of the better sports hosts,but 25 years is a good stint,but it won’t be the same after he has gone,I just hope they don’t get some clown like paddy mcguinness to replace him
I would think it will be the chap that does the midweek show. He doesn't quite have the rapport Jeff does with his colleagues, that comes with time, but does s decent job all the same.

sign of the chimes

I would think it will be the chap that does the midweek show. He doesn't quite have the rapport Jeff does with his colleagues, that comes with time, but does s decent job all the same.
Julian Warren. As you say, he's a steady pair of hands, brings his own understated wit to proceedings, and would be a decent replacement - I'd be happy to see him get the gig.

grecIAN Harris

Turns out he's doing a big U turn and staying. Geddon Jeff!!

fred binneys head

Money is a many splendored thing.

grecIAN Harris

Money is a many splendored thing.
Who cares? Soccer Saturday is never quite the same without Jeff.

Number13

They couldnt afford to lose him - expect he has negotiated a tidy little sum to stay
They must realise they got it wrong throwing all the old guys out in one go - the banter between them made the show and new younger, more PC lot just arent cutting it - so to lose Jeff would be the end

sign of the chimes

I was really pleased to see Jeff decide to stay on for the season - he's what has made that show work (although I don't think Julian Warren is a bad understudy and hope he gets the gig when Jeff does jack it in). I wasn't too bothered about them jettisoning the old guard when they did - as much as I enjoyed them over the years; it's not as though they'd been there from the start - it was pretty good with the likes of Best, Mullery, McLintock, Marsh and they didn't arrive at the last lot straight away.

I don't think the problem is anything to do with the panel being 'PC' I just think they've either got the wrong people; who either take themselves a bit too seriously, or one or two who are still getting to grips with doing it and haven't come in to their own. There's some chaff amongst the wheat at the moment; but I'd be surprised if we didn't end up with another decent roster in the near future. There are also some decent individuals but, like building a football team, it's about finding the right mix and letting them express themselves.