• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v Exeter City match day thread

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah, he had no chance Pete............. of being allowed to get away with that one. Not quite sure what he was trying to do with that but whatever it was failed miserably.
Whilst Sinisalo made a right Horlicks of the shot, the lack of defending by Purrington and Diabate in the build up was also horrendous.

I thought Diabate played a lot better with the steadying presence of Jules beside him.

But what a day out that was. HT, I walked outside into the sunshine just to get a little bit of cheer from the afternoon. Who knew then, what the 2nd half had in store. Amazing play, amazing goals and amazing scenes at the end. Why are there only 2 games left? I'm sure that all City fans dont want the season to end.

Oh and Alli, he is going to be a firm fans favourite as Caldwell said when he was signed.

Last edited:

Trampus

..Nobody's going to have much faith in a leader that changes his or her mind every two weeks, nor should they.
Nor one whose team needs to go two down before it starts to function. Worked well this week but won’t always.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me Caldwell being consistent and sticking to his beliefs throughout an eventful and traumatic season in the face of home fan hostility was the most impressive part. The actual detail of how he wanted us to set up was secondary, as long as he had his vision intact and the players and staff behind him then we had a chance.
The detail of the strategy can never be secondary to its consistent application. If it was, it would be better to line up with no defenders and 7 right wingers each week than deploy useful tactics which change from time to time.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't wait to see this!
I wouldn't bother according to the co commentator a mr Derek Adams he said it was a fluke :)

andrew p long

..Nobody's going to have much faith in a leader that changes his or her mind every two weeks, nor should they.
nor in a fanbase online poll.... ;)

STURTZ

For me Caldwell being consistent and sticking to his beliefs throughout an eventful and traumatic season in the face of home fan hostility was the most impressive part. The actual detail of how he wanted us to set up was secondary, as long as he had his vision intact and the players and staff behind him then we had a chance.
The detail of the strategy can never be secondary to its consistent application. If it was, it would be better to line up with no defenders and 7 right wingers each week than deploy useful tactics which change from time to time.
Got to say here I am assuming that our manager has some kind of football intelligence and has not recently taken large amounts of LSD.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got to say here I am assuming that our manager has some kind of football intelligence and has not recently taken large amounts of LSD.
My point is, being wed to a strategy that isn't effective is not a good quality.

Happily, GC's strategy is effective, just took a while to get there!

Sir Keir Starmer doesn't manage Exeter City as far as I know.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Such a shame that............................. the season is finishing just as we are getting into our stride ;) It certainly feels good being a City fan currently! With a hugely changed team without 1st team regulars in Carroll, Cole, Sweenz and Aitchison it makes the result and the 2nd half performance even more impressive. Without getting carried away, if we can add Woods, a quality GK and three to four quality players such as Harris back on loan and if Demi resigns then I don't see why we can't be set for top ten next season - that's what Gary is aiming for so I think we as fans should do to. What also pleases me is that hopefully in Pedro and JR Hartley we potentially have two more home grown to takes the places of Hartridge and Kite. We have a solid base defensively and in Alli and Sonny we at least have two strikers already in the building - recognising we need one if not two more. The recruitment of players from non league has been hugely impressive with Cole, Harper and Alli all excellent. If we can continue to pick up other gems from the conference it can ensure we can compete financially against teams recruiting upwards. Don't want the season to end and already looking forward to pre-season :love:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Our run for the play offs is sadly a little bit late!