• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reading vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGrecian23

He's right though Manc. Have you ever booed a city team? I very much doubt it. For me it's a most destructive thing to do, adds nothing and the only effect it has is negative as boos cant be aimed at individuals, they're all inclusive, the players who have given their all, tried their best, worked hard along with any who have not. If folks are going to boo the team on the pitch then they ought to just stay away if its that bad for them.
I don't boo during the game, certainly don't agree with booing players off the pitch when they get substituted etc.

But at the end of the game if I think they haven't tried hard enough and have not done enough then I will certainly let them know.

I'm not doing it to help the team, or for any real reason other than letting the anger and frustration of another wasted day and however much money has been spent out of my system.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I never booed a team that was trying, no. What do you think that achieves? Honestly, genuinely, if you can tell me how it helps to boo Harry Kite yesterday for example, I will retract my comments. Do you think those yelling rubbish yesterday have woken up this morning feeling as rotten as he has about yesterday? And yes, you'll say "they werent booing Harry" but how does he know that - its just toxic noise from hundreds of people

Or booing Scott? Yes, hes the worst player we have seen for years and years but how does booing him help? Just dont clap if you dont want to. Or how does the sub coming on not know that you arent booing him?

Or when the subs come out to do the running after the game, still shouting obsenities at them? Do you think that makes them want to sign a new deal with us, if they get absued? Do you think Rankine would sign next year for example if Chelsea said "you can go on loan to Exeter or Carlisle"? Do you not realise footballers talk to each other - "wouldnt sign for Exeter mate, all you get is 4 hour bus rides and abuse". Or do you think they think "I'll run that extra yard for someone who has just called me all the names under the sun". "I'll stick my head in where it hurts so that if I get it knocked off someone can boo me". Yes its their job, yes they should do their best always but they are humans too

Anyway, I always had an underdtanding that we were a limited, lower league club. This year, with a newish manager, a whole new squad to rebuild, smallish budget, no "super kids" coming thorugh, that it would be hard. I want us to stay up and I believe that we have more chance of that if I dont boo my team, the team I spend many hours and lots of money supporting

If any of that is wrong, I apologise but its a considered response and not just shouting rubbish from the terrace
Oh get over yourself. We’ve won once since September - do you seriously think the players will be at all surprised if the crowd are less than pleased with yet another defeat? Personally I think our crowd is soft as sh*te and wouldn’t say boo to a goose, so I very much doubt in the entire history of the game any player has advised another not to come here because of the stick they’ll get. Jesus, they’ll never get such an easy ride as they get here and were they at any other club bar ours they’d be getting at least as bad if not worse from the crowd.

The mess we’re in is down to every member of the playing staff and those directly involved with the first team. If they can’t handle a few pelters for being that bad then perhaps football’s not for them (although having said that, results probably dictate they ought to find different careers anyway, because very few of them out there resemble actual footballers).

andrew p long

Well it would make sense for the player so they can join a new club if not renewed? A contract until the end of Jan would leave them unable to sign/register for another club unless terminated/released. And a contract until the middle/any other part of the month surely makes no sense for squad planning.
actually I think 31 December is a bad date for the club for a player's short term contract to end. That's because we'll be playing on 1st January and the mechanics of the window mean that we can't (?) sign anyone new in time to be eligible to play on the afternoon of New Years Day. That means potentially further depleting the squad on New Years Day when we most need players due to 4 games in 10 days.

(and 31 January is not a disaster for the player. He gets paid until the end of the month. If not offered an extension then he can be transferred by agreement for free in January. And if not then he can agree to sign for anyone anywhere on 1st February as a free agent)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
One must sit and clap and cheer regardless of results, form or entertainment levels provided.

We’re unique after all remember.

Every club in the country has a bunch of lads who get walloped every Saturday afternoon on the way to a game and if things don’t go well or continually don’t go well week after week guess what?

yeah there probably going to show there displeasure at the situation , the club is so lucky to have such a loyal understanding committed support.

1 win in 16 games at a lot of clubs and there would be an absolute riot going on in the terraces so i’m sure the club appreciates the patience the majority show.

pay your money take your choice IMO.

I wouldn’t boo personally but if others want too , or if they want to run on the pitch and swing a rusty gate or give a 2 finger salute to whoever or whatever they want that’s down to them isn’t it i don’t think there thug or a yob for that reason.

we’re all different have different levels of acceptance or anger levels and different ways of showing it - why would that be any different at football than in every day life?.

Last edited:

scottus86

While their second goal is Kite's responsibility, he is a midfielder playing out of position. He is used to having a safety back pass when he is closed down like that.

Could Hartridge have done better with the header too?

thermopylai

I really enjoyed watching James Scott’s interview after he scored his first goal at SJP and I think I said at the time that he came across like I would have done if I’d just scored my first goal at SJP, all smiles and energy. Since then I’ve watched him closely whenever he’s played and I think I was right, he looks exactly like I would do if I played for city.
Has GC approached your agent yet?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Has GC approached your agent yet?
Fred wouldn't fit Caldwell's style of play. He'd try and score goals for starters.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Fred wouldn't fit Caldwell's style of play. He'd try and score goals for starters.
At which end. It's an important detail.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
At which end. It's an important detail.
I am hoping whichever end we are shooting towards, but won't make any promises. Depends how tired he is I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.