• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reduced Train Service at St James Park Station

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
No idea why football fans have to suffer. Both my trains won't call at SJP. :(

Anyways, details of changes to the services https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/gwrupdate/

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
They claim it is because longer trains cannot stop safely at the short platform at SJP, but this happens at short platforms all over the country every day - for instance at Stonehouse, the next station up the line from Stroud, which has a two-carriage-long platform but has eight-carriage trains from Paddington stopping at it regularly. I can't believe the trains are so antiquated on the Exmouth line that they cannot manage to lock certain doors at certain platforms - just sounds like an excuse to exclude football fans from 'rugby specials'.

On the other hand, it's not exactly far to walk from Central and you look like you could do with the exercise :)

Stelios

They claim it is because longer trains cannot stop safely at the short platform at SJP, but this happens at short platforms all over the country every day - for instance at Stonehouse, the next station up the line from Stroud, which has a two-carriage-long platform but has eight-carriage trains from Paddington stopping at it regularly. I can't believe the trains are so antiquated on the Exmouth line that they cannot manage to lock certain doors at certain platforms - just sounds like an excuse to exclude football fans from 'rugby specials'.
Spot on. Makes my blood boil.

The 17:22 to Exmouth doesn't stop at Digby today. Would it normally stop on a non rugby day?

Last edited:

iscalad

To think our club volunteers go there every year to tidy the place up. Maybe the Chiefs will take over now.

denzel

Why were the Chiefs allowed to schedule a friendly for today? And having done so why did they get preference?

Still, at least you got a train to Central, which is more than people from Honiton and Axminster got

Red Devon

Why were the Chiefs allowed to schedule a friendly for today? And having done so why did they get preference?

Still, at least you got a train to Central, which is more than people from Honiton and Axminster got
Yes that’s three times in four weeks SWR have messed my travel plans up.

Jason

Spot on. Makes my blood boil.

The 17:22 to Exmouth doesn't stop at Digby today. Would it normally stop on a non rugby day?
Yes it would on a typical day. However when Chiefs are at home the fans must use Digby for Exeter bound travel and Newcourt for Exmouth bound journeys.

grecian55

Fed up with useless GWR and their excuses ,the train stops at SJP Station when there is no rugby on ,it stopped and picked up from there on the first game of the season so how come it's such a problem today ? ,the short platform is a pretty p*ss poor excuse as there are tannoys on main Stations and annoucements on trains to tell everyone going to SJP to use the front carriage only ,absolute joke Train Franchise .

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Yes that’s three times in four weeks SWR have messed my travel plans up.
Engineering works at Axminster during the most of September necessitating buses from Crewkerne.

The train that I got on at Central wasn't very busy.

denzel

Engineering works at Axminster during the most of September necessitating buses from Crewkerne.

The train that I got on at Central wasn't very busy.
Except as you know it wasn't engineering works this weekend, it was a strike, as it will be in future weekends in September. How did you get a train at Central as none were scheduled?