• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List for 2024/25 (released)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
From the BBC

Average Joe

Les Afful is the worst striker we’ve ever had.
I don't think we paid money for him though did we?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Afful came through the youth system.

Afful was always a player I wanted so badly to succeed, but he just wasn't quite good enough. I think he went onto Forest Green after us for a few seasons

Mid Devon Grecian

Afful came through the youth system.

Afful was always a player I wanted so badly to succeed, but he just wasn't quite good enough. I think he went onto Forest Green after us for a few seasons
After FGR he played a lot of games for Truro and scored a few as well. Probably found his natural level there.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
After FGR he played a lot of games for Truro and scored a few as well. Probably found his natural level there.
According to Wiki he scored 41 goals for Truro.

Mid Devon Grecian

According to Wiki he scored 41 goals for Truro.
Prolific😉

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quite pleased at the retained list. Especially that we are trying to keep Mitchell, Lee and Carroll (and not unhappy at trying to retain Watts). I had feared that by the time of the retained list one or more would have indicated they weren't staying. Jules of course seems certain to stay either with an extended contract or ECFC exercising the option we hold.

Antony Moxey

No, but we paid wages though.

Number13

So the other second year scholars in Tom Dean's "year" have just been released? Don't they normally also get a name check? Could it be that some of them could still stay?

andrew p long

So the other second year scholars in Tom Dean's "year" have just been released? Don't they normally also get a name check? Could it be that some of them could still stay?
From the same year there is also Max Edgecombe, who got a pro contract a year early and is also contracted for next year. So that means two professionals from that year group.
That is low but it comes when we have six of the year above already signed on (Cox Borges James Beardmore and Billington,plus Charlie Cummins) with Lee also in the frame.

In answer to your question my recollection is that it is usually pretty final when a first pro contract isn't offered. Occasionally we have players described as going on to a third year of a scholarship (but I've never understood that concept).