• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Retained list depends on where we are next season. Sweeney scrapes in if Div 2 but not if Div 1. Jay same. In fact many of the current squad.

Stelios

Retained list depends on where we are next season. Sweeney scrapes in if Div 2 but not if Div 1. Jay same. In fact many of the current squad.
Good point.

I think MT is a massive Sweeney fan though. Practically an ever-present and I remember a few earlier season interviews where he heaped praise on Sweeney. I think he loves his attitude too (happy to make himself available if he's not 100% fit etc).

Personally I see him as a bit of weak link (not fit/mobile enough). But I could be wrong.

IndoMike

Good point.

I think MT is a massive Sweeney fan though. Practically an ever-present and I remember a few earlier season interviews where he heaped praise on Sweeney. I think he loves his attitude too (happy to make himself available if he's not 100% fit etc).

Personally I see him as a bit of weak link (not fit/mobile enough). But I could be wrong.
I could be wrong, too. But I think he's not quick enough and not strong in the tackle. Plus as an attacking full.back he's ok but no more. We have to remember that teams like Mansfield, Bury and Lincoln will be the norm in Div 1, and we're lagging behind. That's the honest truth.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Agree that Boateng and Law don't seem to be able to play together but both are so good and offer different things in that midfield creative space. I'd keep the two of them and use them as necessary.

Ash

Agree that Boateng and Law don't seem to be able to play together but both are so good and offer different things in that midfield creative space. I'd keep the two of them and use them as necessary.
Well as they're both under contract anyway, you'll likely get your wish!

I suspect Pym will leave as he's out of contract and over 24.

If they're not already under contract, I'd allow Hamon, Croll, Brown, Tillson, Forte and Woodman to leave.
Woody and Brown have been great servants, but for different reasons I'm not sure they have much left in the tank.

Add to those the three loanees, that's already 10 players we'd need to replace.

If anyone comes in with decent money for Hiram, I'd take it. He's talented and capable of making a real difference, but he doesn't do it enough.

I wouldn't cry too hard if Sweeney, (Jake) Taylor or Holmes left tbh, but I'd rather they had another year.

I think Aaron Martin is quality at this level. But as Matt Taylor clearly doesn't agree, maybe it would be better if he found another club and we found a player that the manager trusts?

So not much work to do in the close season at all then!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Simpson lead the line well on Tuesday night.
Holmes has lost a bit of speed, so goo servant that he has been, time to let go.
Can't see us releasing both Croll and A Martin.
Had to check this wasn't a thread from a year ago. Who the hell is Simpson?!

Cygnus

It’s Theo Simpson, a 2nd year apprentice player, who was highly rated in his year group, along with Ethan Ampadu and Jack Sparkes, but he has had two broken legs, that have set him back. Hopefully we still believe in him though and give him another year’s contract, as if he stays fit, he is potentially a very good young player.

Red Devon

It’s Theo Simpson, a 2nd year apprentice player, who was highly rated in his year group, along with Ethan Ampadu and Jack Sparkes, but he has had two broken legs, that have set him back. Hopefully we still believe in him though and give him another year’s contract, as if he stays fit, he is potentially a very good young player.
Were the the leg breaks football injuries or from some other reason?

Cygnus

Both leg breaks where football injuries and for the first time he seems to have got his confidence and form back now. Because as you can imagine a leg break and then another one just after just regaining fitness would knock any player’s confidence, particularly a young player.

Theo has a lot of potential, so hopefully he can stay fit now and City give him the chance to fufill that potential with us.

iscalad

Had to check this wasn't a thread from a year ago. Who the hell is Simpson?!
Tuesday night was the final of the Youth Alliance Cup. Theo Simpson led the line as a lone striker and did really well. Will Dean is another to watch from that team as well.