• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Round holes, square pegs

tjcrid82

Yeah, I see the same thing with the centre back issue. Seems like an obvious problem to solve. As does getting a more experienced keeper, as does not playing a centre back up front, as does playing with more aggression at home, as does playing with a bit more pace going forward, as do many things. The question is whether we're maybe missing something if the management are dropping so many clangers yet the team's doing pretty well in the league?
Ha ha maybe it's a Moneyball attempt! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball_(film)

So we're signing all these 'has been's' because they are cheap and their stats are what we're after, 'Oakley 98% sideways pass completion at center back'... was working well until a dozen games ago.

I don't believe this by the way, before I get mocked.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
A good thread and a lot of sensible musing going on. In simple terms:

1) Our league position isn't bad at all,
2) We've made a load of money through developing and selling Matt Grimes
3) We're scoring plenty of goals.

You have to say, that's the three most important things on our wish list ticked off, surely? No relegation fear, no financial fear and at least we're finding the net which must be the key indicator of entertainment value.

Thus, our worries really are 'luxury gripes' but frustrating in that I still think they can be easily addressed with a proper engagement and openness plan from the Trust, some more positive PR work from (and around) Tis and PLEEEEASE can we just commit to pressing, getting stuck in, attacking and entertaining at home?

PS: I appreciate the negative view on over 30s, but I do like having a good few of them around. In 89/90 we had Jim McNichol, Clive Whitehead, Brian McDermott and Steve Neville who of course all played a big part, as well as Paul Batty, Steve Harrower and a couple of old uns on loan. Got to get the balance right though.
The difference with the 1990 team is that they actually destroyed teams at SJP. If I remember correctly our home league record was P23 W20 D3 L0, and we didn't lose any home cup games that season either, during our successful runs in the FA, and FL Cups ! If the current crop matched that we would all be "Happy as Larry" ! The problem is that fans are frustrated because with better utilization and tactics, we have the the talent to be doing so much better,

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah and everyone knows Arsenal would've done much better if only they'd sorted out their keeper, defence and got a leader in the middle of the park. And kept everything else the same. So Wenger's an idiot. Except he hasn't missed the last 16 of the champions league for how many years? And who else has achieved that on his budget? Just think how well he could've done if he's watched a superficial analysis of his sides weaknesses by Andy Townsend...

paperclip

Yeah and everyone knows Arsenal would've done much better if only they'd sorted out their keeper, defence and got a leader in the middle of the park. And kept everything else the same. So Wenger's an idiot. Except he hasn't missed the last 16 of the champions league for how many years? And who else has achieved that on his budget? Just think how well he could've done if he's watched a superficial analysis of his sides weaknesses by Andy Townsend...
I have no idea what point you are trying to make in your post, and I can't really see the relevance of comparing Tisdale with Arsene Wenger (unless its a comment about arrogance). What I DO know however is that Wenger does not play half of his players out of position. It would have been fairly simple to construct a formation from the starting 11 last night that had players playing in the positions they are accustomed to playing in. The fact that Tisdale could have done this but chose not to do so strongly implies that he thought his way of doing things was better. I have yet to see a comment on this thread that says we were anything other than ****e for the first hour until the subs came on. That suggests he got it wrong. Again.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The point I'm making is that everyone can see the mistakes that Tisdale is making and yet the league position is decent. Everyone can see the mistakes Wenger makes, yet his record is excellent. Maybe correcting the mistakes with simple solutions isn't as straight forward as it looks. If Tisdale was doing everything wrong, we'd be sitting near the bottom. But we're not. What's he doing right?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The point I'm making is that everyone can see the mistakes that Tisdale is making and yet the league position is decent. Everyone can see the mistakes Wenger makes, yet his record is excellent. Maybe correcting the mistakes with simple solutions isn't as straight forward as it looks. If Tisdale was doing everything wrong, we'd be sitting near the bottom. But we're not. What's he doing right?
I would like Tisdale to stay in charge for the away games

And bring in somebody else to manage the home games

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good idea. What if we keep Tisdale in charge if we're playing Sheffield Wednesday and someone else come in if we're playing Chesterfield?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we're playing Newport away, Tisdale gets the first half and someone else gets the second. If its Cambridge at home, we go the other way around.

paperclip

Credy's right, our league position is as good as it is mainly due to our away record. Tisdale deserves credit for that, however a manager who is (reputedly) meticulous in his preparation for matches really should have a better home record than Tisdale has over the last 3-4 seasons, especially as L2 has been generally rubbish since we were relegated.

grecIAN Harris

So I dragged along a mate from work (West Ham fan) for the game last and at the start he asked me to talk him through the team. So I went on to explain that Oakley a central midfielder was at centre back, Davies a wide midfielder was at wing back, Butterfield a right back was at centre back, McAllister a left back was in midfield, Nicholls a striker was in midfield and Harley a midfielder was up front. Meanwhile Ribeiro a natural wing back is on the bench, along with our most potent attacking threat - Wheeler. My mate thought I was making it up.

For what it’s worth I think either Oakley or Butterfield alongside JMT would work, but certainly not both and Nicholls does a decent job on the left, but really needs 2 strikers ahead of him.

Can we just go back to 4-4-2 and play players in the position they’re most comfortable at please?
Only Nicholls isn't a striker, he's a winger who, for a short while, had to play up front and did pretty well in that period and now everybody mistakenly has him down as a striker.

Last edited: