• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

i8cornwall

not scottish football just rangers lol

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Berwick Rangers playing in Scottish League is the reverse of Gretna.
This would be down to travel,i expect Berwicks longest journeys are 150 miles with perhaps Ross County when they were in the same division being awkward(10 miles north of Inverness..Dingwall)

When i saw Berwick play at East Stirlingshire on a wet evening a couple of seasons ago,the cross of St George was very evident in the ground from the 70 odd Berwick supporters who had made the journey....That must **** the Jocks off on their away days!!

B

Barmy Grecian

BTW 2 or 3 seasons ago I say on sky sports news that East stirling made jeff sterling one of there 'Fan club', it is wierd but people are more aware of east stirling than the teams in division 1 or 2 and want them to do well but still east stirling get very low attendances.

Oldsmobile-88

Yes they had such a poor playing record,that it generated a lot of publicity.
As they say there is no such thing as bad publicity.

A coachload of adopted fans travelled up from Stoke a couple of years ago.

Oldsmobile-88

East Stirlingshire won against Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill to make it 5 wins on the spin.(including one in the CIS) The last time this happened,Maggie had just got to No10.Carter was in the White House & The Clash were about to release Combat Rock!!

Things are looking up....I can feel a pilgrimage coming on..

MikeB

They will never be able to cope with this sudden surge of interest. Queues at the one turnstile?

Oldsmobile-88

They will never be able to cope with this sudden surge of interest. Queues at the one turnstile?
lol....Yes i had a job to find how to get into Firs Park.I eventually found the turnstile down this dodgy looking street,past some rough looking tenement flats.

MikeB

Yes East Stirling's ground is certainly tucked away!

Unlike Falkirk's old ground across town which was such an easy walk from the railway station. I recall going there to watch them play Kilmarnock in an evening match a few years ago. I was stopping in Edinburgh at the time.

Which reminds me, I also went along to the Meadowbank Stadium, when Meadowbank Thistle played there and were later reinvented/moved to as Livingston.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Which reminds me, I also went along to the Meadowbank Stadium, when Meadowbank Thistle played there and were later reinvented/moved to as Livingston.
They were Ferranti Thistle before there election in to the SL in 1974 iirc.But had to change their name after election,because of the advertising nature of their name.
Meadowbank almost made the SPL in the late 80's before dropping down the leagues & relocating.

MikeB

That's right. I've got a couple of Ferranti Thistle programmes somewhere lurking in my collection.

Having seen the Scottish Cup draw for the non-leaguers, I reckon Forres Mechanics have drawn a 'short straw' in terms if travelling. They are away to Girvan! Buckie Thistle also face a lengthy trip, away to Glasgow University. Ties to be played on 29th September.