• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sheffield Weds. V Exeter City Match-day thread

Bat Fastard

January signings though - MT rarely got a Jan signing right.

Give GC the chance of a proper transfer window and I think he'll do well. No doubt a good contact book.
in fairness, at the time i thought scott and white were a cut above what we usually get in january and i doubt taylor would have been able to persuade mcdonald to come. will certainly be an interesting summer....reckon stanno could be the hardest to replace, has been ridiculously consistent for a young player

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Only 6 subs. Surely we have another kid who could sit on the bench
Or Harry Lee, as he was fit and practising with the other players pre match. If naming two keepers on the bench is good enough for the top Premiership clubs then its good enough for us too!

andrew p long

I don't think there are actually any 'up front'. It's the old 5-5-0 formation.
funnily enough I've seen us do that sort of thing in Sheffield before...playing 4-6-0 at Sheffield United with David Noble as a false 9. Finished 4-4.

PS ..oops ..have now seen that Rosencrantz has already posted this.

I feared a comprehensive defeat today when I saw the team, but ECFC is made of sterner stuff nowadays. Despite missing so many first choice players we managed to get our opponents booed off at half time. Despite a couple of wobbles in defence we looked fairly secure and still tried to play our football. Josh Coley at times looked like a clone of Sam, playing in position alien to him; something to work on here for next season. He probably should have scored and Josh Key should have doubled his tally. Kegs, Harry and Archie really worked hard in midfield and on the whole kept Bannon quiet. A very impressive performance, wrong result again, but something to very proud of. Lucky for Wednesday we didn't play our first choice team, otherwise they would have had their second home defeat of the season.

fred binneys head

reckon stanno could be the hardest to replace, has been ridiculously consistent for a young player
Who says we’ll have to replace him? 😉

I feared a comprehensive defeat today when I saw the team, but ECFC is made of sterner stuff nowadays. Despite missing so many first choice players we managed to get our opponents booed off at half time. Despite a couple of wobbles in defence we looked fairly secure and still tried to play our football. Josh Coley at times looked like a clone of Sam, playing in position alien to him; something to work on here for next season. He probably should have scored and Josh Key should have doubled his tally. Kegs, Harry and Archie really worked hard in midfield and on the whole kept Bannon quiet. A very impressive performance, wrong result again, but something to very proud of. Lucky for Wednesday we didn't play our first choice team, otherwise they would have had their second home defeat of the season.
Luckily for you we didn’t play our first choice team either.

just to add some balance to this thread, we were missing

Windass - easily our best forward
Byers - Many would argue more important to us than Bannan
James - arguably our player of the year
Famewo - first choice centre back
Henegan - first choice centre back
Hunt - first / second choice right back
Wilkes - main summer signing and the only pace we have up front

and the time wasting, funnily enough it started around 3pm and intensified after 47 minutes!

we’ll take Caprice off you though if you want. Hope you all got home safely

grecIAN Harris

and the time wasting, funnily enough it started around 3pm and intensified after 47 minutes!

Now there's an offer I wouldn't refuse............

Memphis09

in fairness, at the time i thought scott and white were a cut above what we usually get in january and i doubt taylor would have been able to persuade mcdonald to come. will certainly be an interesting summer....reckon stanno could be the hardest to replace, has been ridiculously consistent for a young player

you can have him

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

The difference being you have the budget to be able to have strength in depth in a way we don't. Your reserve keeper, for example, would be first choice at almost any other club in the division.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights