• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sheffield Weds. V Exeter City Match-day thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Luckily for you we didn’t play our first choice team either.

just to add some balance to this thread, we were missing

Windass - easily our best forward
Byers - Many would argue more important to us than Bannan
James - arguably our player of the year
Famewo - first choice centre back
Henegan - first choice centre back
Hunt - first / second choice right back
Wilkes - main summer signing and the only pace we have up front

and the time wasting, funnily enough it started around 3pm and intensified after 47 minutes!

we’ll take Caprice off you though if you want. Hope you all got home safely
Imagine a team with your resources offering weak terrible excuses as to why you could only scrape past little old Exeter.

Imagine a team with your resources offering weak terrible excuses as to why you could only scrape past little old Exeter.
What resources are those then?…..we also had twice as many shots and 4 times as many corners as you…..hardly scraping

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
If key, Collins, nombe, brown move on to a higher level, (which has been rumoured on here for a while), I think we’ll do very well to get in players of a similar quality. Fair play Mitchell been excellent and McDonald’s played a handful of good games but not reliable so far, Scott and white not been good signings as of now
That's not telling the whole story though.Since Caldwell has come in ,we have seen recent significant improvement in the performances of our season long loanees Kegs,Harper and Stansfield.It indicates that given time the coaching staff are capable of improving the playing staff that we bring in.

The difference being you have the budget to be able to have strength in depth in a way we don't. Your reserve keeper, for example, would be first choice at almost any other club in the division.
A 37 year old free transfer from Wycombe?…..think you’ve picked a bad example there

You have a point regarding budget (allegedly) but unfortunately Moore’s strategy was to spend that budget on older players who haven’t been able to stay fit. Some of the younger players such as Backinson, Dele Bashiru and Adenerin haven’t stepped up to the mark when needed.

The other thing with strength in depth is that there is only so far you can go with that. Decent players aren’t prepared to sign for League 1 clubs if they don’t think they will be 1st choice unless the money is ridiculous and whilst I’m not denying we can probably pay bigger wages than most in this division, not necessarily enough to sign decent strength so with injuries there will automatically be a weakening of the team

STURTZ

What resources are those then?…..we also had twice as many shots and 4 times as many corners as you…..hardly scraping
And yet you had one more shot than us on target! Stats are sh*te, the biggest one, on occasions, being the result. All in all City can consider themselves very unlucky to only have taken 1 point from Wednesday this season. We deserved to have won the home match and at least drawn up there.

grecIAN Harris

A 37 year old free transfer from Wycombe?…..think you’ve picked a bad example there

You have a point regarding budget (allegedly) but unfortunately Moore’s strategy was to spend that budget on older players who haven’t been able to stay fit. Some of the younger players such as Backinson, Dele Bashiru and Adenerin haven’t stepped up to the mark when needed.

The other thing with strength in depth is that there is only so far you can go with that. Decent players aren’t prepared to sign for League 1 clubs if they don’t think they will be 1st choice unless the money is ridiculous and whilst I’m not denying we can probably pay bigger wages than most in this division, not necessarily enough to sign decent strength so with injuries there will automatically be a weakening of the team
You have a top end Championship/bottom end Premier League player pulling your strings for you. His wages alone would probably pay for half of our first team alone. The point your manager has spent his riches poorly is not our problem, the fact remains you have far greater resources than many clubs in the division. When Bannon went off at our place, you looked bang average and we should have beaten you backs up your claims though.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the Derby games and Sheffield games are really hard to judge too much by, other than being exceptionally proud of the back up / Youth players for making both matches so closely fought contests against 2 very good league one sides.

Grecian Max

Luckily for you we didn’t play our first choice team either.

just to add some balance to this thread, we were missing

Windass - easily our best forward
Byers - Many would argue more important to us than Bannan
James - arguably our player of the year
Famewo - first choice centre back
Henegan - first choice centre back
Hunt - first / second choice right back
Wilkes - main summer signing and the only pace we have up front

and the time wasting, funnily enough it started around 3pm and intensified after 47 minutes!

we’ll take Caprice off you though if you want. Hope you all got home safely
Thanks for bottling it and letting Argyle who are just as bad go up. Never forgiven you pie munching tw@ts

And yet you had one more shot than us on target! Stats are sh*te, the biggest one, on occasions, being the result. All in all City can consider themselves very unlucky to only have taken 1 point from Wednesday this season. We deserved to have won the home match and at least drawn up there.
Haha, the result is the only statistic that counts

Thanks for bottling it and letting Argyle who are just as bad go up. Never forgiven you pie munching tw@ts
ooh no please don’t hurt me by calling me names like that…..how can I ever hope to have a reasonable debate with someone of your intelligence. I can’t so I’ll leave you to it