• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sohail Sahi Commentary Technique

Squeezebox

I don't think anyone is callous enough to want him sacked. Preferably he should commentate on non ECFC games, but if he does then it really should be pointed out that there are many of us listening to the commentary without the benefit of watching on ifollow and we need to know what is happening on the pitch! I used to love Test Match Special and Blowers commentary about pigeons, buses up the Harleford Road etc., but this was done when play was NOT in progress and was perfectly acceptable, nay, enjoyable! With Sohail we can go for minutes on end without knowing what is happening on the pitch! Agree he would make a better co-commentator.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think anyone is callous enough to want him sacked. Preferably he should commentate on non ECFC games, but if he does then it really should be pointed out that there are many of us listening to the commentary without the benefit of watching on ifollow and we need to know what is happening on the pitch! I used to love Test Match Special and Blowers commentary about pigeons, buses up the Harleford Road etc., but this was done when play was NOT in progress and was perfectly acceptable, nay, enjoyable! With Sohail we can go for minutes on end without knowing what is happening on the pitch! Agree he would make a better co-commentator.
Agreed. I think a petition is a bit OTT (and there seem to be higher expectations of local radio than I expected)

I wish someone would give Sohail (and some other commentators) the standard radio advice 'imagine the person you are talking to is blind....describe the action for him/her'.

A different thing that aggrieves me is the fact that the ECFC branded ifollow service have commentaries that are Argyle focussed and/or imply that you must have got the City commentary by mistake and what you really want to listen to is Argyle's game.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
ot sure if he ever commentates as such, but when not commentating on City matches (I think I've only heard him about once this season?) he's usually someone reporting from a ground on 5 Live.

Grecian Max

Agreed. I think a petition is a bit OTT (and there seem to be higher expectations of local radio than I expected)

I wish someone would give Sohail (and some other commentators) the standard radio advice 'imagine the person you are talking to is blind....describe the action for him/her'.

A different thing that aggrieves me is the fact that the ECFC branded ifollow service have commentaries that are Argyle focussed and/or imply that you must have got the City commentary by mistake and what you really want to listen to is Argyle's game.
Meanwhile Argyle don’t even have IFollow and that’s their own ArgyleTV with proper commentators and pundits. Not only that but they have slow mo replays and cameras behind the goals. All packaged in a bespoke website that promotes their brand properly, not the EFL template that was apparently impossible to buy out of. All they’ve had there is a vision and then paid the right people to execute it. Time to get this stuff up to the standard of the video content. How do I know this… I paid for the Rovers game in the desperate hope that they might lose.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Meanwhile Argyle don’t even have IFollow and that’s their own ArgyleTV with proper commentators and pundits. Not only that but they have slow mo replays and cameras behind the goals. All packaged in a bespoke website that promotes their brand properly, not the EFL template that was apparently impossible to buy out of. All they’ve had there is a vision and then paid the right people to execute it. Time to get this stuff up to the standard of the video content. How do I know this… I paid for the Rovers game in the desperate hope that they might lose.
Also there owner is us based I think n probably wants good coverage, but it would be great if we could try n replicate something similar as although I follow is ok, it could be so much better.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly, they seem to be doing everything right at the moment...

• Sad
Reactions: Ash

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And how much does that all cost? Are there really enough potential viewers who would be attracted by the improved product to justify the expense?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's about getting the right people with the right skills isn't it? I've noticed that replays on our big screen have improved in recent weeks. Probably no coincidence that we recently hired someone new to operate it.

Grecian Max

And how much does that all cost? Are there really enough potential viewers who would be attracted by the improved product to justify the expense?
You see, it's this sort of thinking that is very village fete. It costs money to improve your product and grow your business. I wasn't part of the thought process but from the outside I can guess that the people in charge at Argyle believe in the power of branding and have invested the time and capital to take them up a level.

Look at their site and their offering: https://www.pafc.co.uk/argyle-tv ...they've invested properly in their website, their front of house.

Argyle obviously understand that to get ahead, rather than keep pace - is to embrace streaming etc, brand it as their own and look to engage people (kids in particular) who are looking at a screen for a lot of their day. City understand that too and the videos Scott and team produce punch massively above their weight but this is next level stuff in terms of how it's distributed and presented. I can tell you now from experience that the engagement on their website will be far higher in terms of time spent looking around than ours.

“This project allows us to produce our own digital solution, controlled by us, designed specifically for Argyle supporters.

“Not only will these new platforms offer a better, more reliable experience for Argyle fans, but they also provide us greater opportunities to enhance and amplify the Argyle brand – in line with the club’s long-term ambition to become a sustainable Championship level club.

“To do that, we need to grow our fanbase, engaging effectively with our current supporters, as well as inspiring those who are lapsed, or not yet interested in Argyle.

“The club is in an exciting place - we have a strong story to tell, the right people involved, and we now have the tools to press forward.”

fred binneys head

Bet there’s a decent online shopping experience too, with links to it from every orifice.