• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sonny Cox

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Leading teenage goalscorers in League One

Shaqai FordeLeyton Orient on loan from Southampton6
Sonny CoxECFC3
Dale TaylorWycombe on loan from Nottingham Forest3 before turning 20
Myles LeaburnCharlton3 before turning 20
Daniel KanuCharlton3
Dom BallardReading on loan from Southampton3
Feels like you get fewer teen strike stars than you used to. Maybe it's my imagination.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
friggin lot of good our link with Southampton when they loan two players to other clubs in our league .....
What is our link with Southampton?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tisdale played for them once.

Colesman Ballz

It's actually a "missing link" as the guy left there last season !

DawlishBouy

Feels like you get fewer teen strike stars than you used to. Maybe it's my imagination.
Not your imagination. The reason I checked this out was because the chaps on Not the top 20 podcast talked about how few young strikers were scoring goals.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not your imagination. The reason I checked this out was because the chaps on Not the top 20 podcast talked about how few young strikers were scoring goals.
Any big theories as to why? If you look at the scoring charts in say the national league (eg if you're browsing to find the next star that we could sign), they're dominated by 30 year olds with poor records in the EFL. What's the reason? Did the podcast put some explanation forward? Maybe just hoarding of youth by prem clubs? So the best 18 year old strikers aren't playing?

DawlishBouy

Any big theories as to why?
Not from them, no. My guess is in the modern game players are better trained athletes and the higher levels of power and physicality make it harder for young players to break through.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gary made reference to it after the U21's game when referencing the physio and analyst we had from them as well as the umm talented player they loaned us last year

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Not from them, no. My guess is in the modern game players are better trained athletes and the higher levels of power and physicality make it harder for young players to break through.
exactly this - you’ve got to be pretty exceptional now to break into a first team at 17/18/19 these days…

I also think the lack of proper reserve team football doesn’t help - gone are the days where senior players used to be made to play - young players then miss out on learning from senior pros or watching them in action.

It used to be have you heard or seen that 18 year old lad who scored 30 for the youth team has scored 10 for the reserves perhaps he should get a game or be in the squad…..you rarely get that anymore.

these days it’s under 23 football or academy games which IMO isn’t realistic to football. league games especially at league 2 and league 1 level given how different the type of football is:

Hence why so many end up drifting down the leagues.

Last edited:

Exehausted

exactly this - you’ve got to be pretty exceptional now to break into a first team at 17/18/19 these days…

I also think the lack of proper reserve team football doesn’t help - gone are the days where senior players used to be made to play - young players then miss out on learning from senior pros or watching them in action.

It used to be have you heard or seen that 18 year old lad who scored 30 for the youth team has scored 10 for the reserves perhaps he should get a game or be in the squad…..you rarely get that anymore.

these days it’s under 23 football or academy games which IMO isn’t realistic to football. league games especially at league 2 and league 1 level given how different the type of football is:

Hence why so many end up drifting down the leagues.
And then when they have matured both physically and mentally they can come back if given the chance like Reece Cole, Vinny Harper and hopefully our signing from yesterday, Millenic Alli. That needs clubs like ours giving them the chance of course.