• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sonny Cox

Mid Devon Grecian

Whilst many have been quick to write him off, let's not get too over the top now either.

He's shown great signs of improvement, but lets just let him continue to develop - there will be dips of form and good moments to come but the signs are promising.
Yes, we saw that with Jay last season. Give Sonny time and he could be great for us both in watching him score goals and for our bank balance when the big boys come knocking!

Trapdoor

Good strikers are an extremely rare commodity. He's going to be hot property in a couple of years.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good strikers are an extremely rare commodity. He's going to be hot property in a couple of years.
Hopefully before his contract expires!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hopefully before his contract expires!
He is essentially tied down for 3 more season if we take up our option of another season, this would take him to 23 in 2027 and therefore even if he ran down the contract to that point, we would still be entitled to compensation should he leave us (Provided we have offered at least the same terms in a new deal).

This seems sensible planning from the club, If it doesn't work out, he goes after 2 n half years and if it works out, we have 3 n half year to get as much value as possible from him, both on the pitch and in terms of sale value at the end. I really think Cox could be our next million pound plus sale. Developing into a proper little star imho

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed, although it's hard not to get excited by the quality of those two goals. It's been clear for a while that he has the movement and instincts to potentially develop into a really good fox-in-the box goal poacher but I don't think many of us realised he had the ability to knock in long-range screamers as well.
Spot on. And also the speed to take advantage of a defence playing a 'high line' . GC's interview indicated they'd identified it as a potential Bolton vulnerability. Pleased and surprised that Sonny had the pace to sprint clear of their back line from the half way line and still finish (in, of course, a quite exceptional way). I too had thought of Sonny as having good movement and awareness, but hadn't seen either speed or explosive long range shots before.

Radio Free Skaro

Credit to Gary and the club where it's due they appear to have done a decent job here.

CWH-NYC_

Watched those two goals back a good few times, not tired of them yet and won’t be for a while.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed, although it's hard not to get excited by the quality of those two goals. It's been clear for a while that he has the movement and instincts to potentially develop into a really good fox-in-the box goal poacher but I don't think many of us realised he had the ability to knock in long-range screamers as well.
We've seen glimpses of it. That strike vs Rovers, where he drifted past a couple of defenders from the left, for example. He's obviously got a decent strike on him if it falls to him in a bit of space.

Boyo

We've seen glimpses of it. That strike vs Rovers, where he drifted past a couple of defenders from the left, for example. He's obviously got a decent strike on him if it falls to him in a bit of space.
Wasn't that a right footed strike as well, i.e. his "wrong" foot?

Ian Tarr

Wasn't that a right footed strike as well, i.e. his "wrong" foot?
It was indeed