• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Southampton in deep trouble

southamptongrecian

The holding company of Southampton have gone into administration today but the club has avoided the 10 point detuction.

According to the southampton Evening Echo Saints have 24 days left before closure.

So we may not be playing them in league 1 next season after all.

Lyme Grecian

Don't like the sound of this, it could let Argyle of the hook. 30 million in debt and no buyers about, its looking bleak for Saints.Never been to St Mary's so if we go up, and they down, it was one i would be looking forward to, went to the Dell a few times in the Keegan era, and it was allways packed, and a great atmosphere. Wheres the Wallcot money gone?.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
They might get the points deducted after all, FL to meet on Tuesday

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
They've got Charlton at home on Saturday while Argyle have Blackpool away. Could be interesting.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
They might get the points deducted after all, FL to meet on Tuesday
Don't like the sound of this, it could let Argyle of the hook.
I recall readin that under Football League rules, any clubs who go into administration between now and end of the season and get relegated, will have their 10-point deduction applied at the start of next term. If they finish above the relegation line, 10 points will be deducted immediately and they may well go down.

Either way a future in the Championship very unlikely for Southampton FC, lets hope that Plymouth still manage to continue slipping up.

journeyman

It's a shame we have to speak of their demise in the context of it being beneficial for our rival's relegation fears. It would leave a huge gap in football, as well as So'ton as a city if they were to fold. God knows what would happen to St Mary's

southamptongrecian

I last nights local paper it said, the local council had not ruled out the possibility of buying the stadium.
I understand but not 100% certain that they already own the land the stadiums on.

I think the citys to big to lose the club, but I also think the club is to big to be run by a trust such as we have.

journeyman

yeh you're probably right about it being too big for a trust, I'd given that some thought. I just can't see them not finding an investor in time though, the city's just too big not to have a championship club

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can see a scenario where by someone buys the club for £1 plus the debts, But this would be a gamble cos i doubt if they could get the investment they need for a club like Southampton, Trust idea would be interesting, Although we at Exeter have done well i'm not sure if it would work at a higher level

southamptongrecian

in todays paper the administrator has said ,he has recieved 19 enquires about the club.