• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stanford Cup

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh I don't know. You seen some of the full length dives out in the deep or the climbs up the wall to get one heading into the crowd? Mitt or not, I reckon that still takes some doing. Plus it's always one handed and always with your 'wrong' hand.

I'll concede that fielding slip distance or less is something of an art, and there is no equivalent in baseball unless one's smacked back to the pitcher (who usually ducks!), but outside the base cordon I doubt there's much in it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not *too* much in it, I grant you - although there is a lot more spin involved in the Cricket ball due to the shape of bat, ball and the added element of bounce off the pitch. If you have ever been under a skied one at backward point off a leg-spinner, you'll know it ain't easy in the slightest. Would be a lot easier with a bl**dy great mitt on to do the catching for you (hence why the 'keeper will often cover a lot of ground to take a catch).

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
Middlesex threw it away last night... Their fielding was awful.

Brian Moore

They would have had to cath the bleddy thing to be able to throw it away!
I reckon Ant & jase both have fair points (oo er) about the fielding, i think generally it probably is a bit easier in Baseball but its hardly a doddle!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Felt for Middlesex , i like the look of that Dawid Malan ? remeber him scoring 100 off 50odd balls in the twenty20 last summer , he looks a real player.

England v Trinidad tonight i believe.....

Can somebody answer me why Alaister Cook is in the Twenty20 squad ?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Malan is a decent prospect, and one main reason why Middx aren't too fussed whether Joyce leaves as touted. Got some real class coming through, which is great.

As for Cook? Dunno, would be like getting me in for a 20/20. He's a Test player. Strauss would have been a better option, he can give it a real go early doors (has hit some huge scores in OD Cricket).

Poundstretcher

Felt for Middlesex , i like the look of that Dawid Malan ? remeber him scoring 100 off 50odd balls in the twenty20 last summer , he looks a real player.

England v Trinidad tonight i believe.....

Short answer is because this exact same squad is off to India straight after the final game for the ODI series and they didn't want to mess with the team spirit.

CREDYGRECIAN

Strauss a Twenty20 player , not for me , like Cook a good test cricketer.

How Dimi Mascarenhas hasnt made the squad after his performances in the ODI arena in the last 12 months is a strange one IMO.

Gozzer

Err... Stanford fancies his girlfriend?

CREDYGRECIAN

:D

Matt Priors mrs seemed to enjoy his wedge.