• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feels like this squad must be underbudget with all the loans and lack of depth.
There is a common misconception that loans are cheaper than players you sign on contract. If anything as a short term fix they are much more expensive. In our case Trevett, Sinsalo and Rankine have all come from good Premier league teams. their wages willl almost certainly be in the top band of our squad and we would have had to pay a loan fee to get them here. You get what you pay for and in those three they are a step above the loan 'squad fillers' we had last season. It's a fine line in terms of where the money gets spent/invested and two scenerios come to mind. One, Gary has gambled on getting by with what we have till January and then bringing in two or three then? Or the board have invested a sizeable chunk in getting plans drawn up for the next phase of SJP re development :)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The problem I have with waiting until January is that by window close only 16 league games are left.

Agreed about loan fees etc but it still doesn’t add up to me what we have and what we’ve lost.

Unless of course we really can’t do The Trust thing at this level…

fred binneys head

What happened to these two trialists Hants heard about!?
I would hope SGC is looking at them for longer than 5 minutes.

kirt f 1

Triallist Brad Young has signed for TNS of Wales so that's another striker off of the list

manc grecian

Triallist Brad Young has signed for TNS of Wales so that's another striker off of the list
Big loss then.

Decent strikers are like rocking horse shit. Everyone wants one and will pay accordingly. We should've Ben looking for Nombes successor 6 months ago though.

Grecian Max

Big loss then.

Decent strikers are like rocking horse shit. Everyone wants one and will pay accordingly. We should've Ben looking for Nombes successor 6 months ago though.
Insane we didn’t have anyone in the pipeline, he was always going to go

yticretexe

Big loss then.

Or, if true, not making an insulting 25k bid for a NL striker who’s now scored 5 in 8.

I guess Muskwe and Morton was the answer. Morton medical combined with the Harris shit show leaves us where we are mostly caused by us leaving it too late and allowing Fulham to call the shots.

*this post assumes rumours are true*

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed, it was really poor planning from the club to not have a replacement or three lined up. I'm sure GC thought hed be able to keep Nombe, but at Exeter City your best player is always close to a move elsewhere. Getting a loan in shows the succession planning was non existent. All a bit tinpot I'm afraid. Hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes and this won't happen in future.

simcity

JM 👀

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed, it was really poor planning from the club to not have a replacement or three lined up. I'm sure GC thought hed be able to keep Nombe, but at Exeter City your best player is always close to a move elsewhere. Getting a loan in shows the succession planning was non existent. All a bit tinpot I'm afraid. Hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes and this won't happen in future.
I'm sure we will learn but will have to stagger to Jan 24 to reinforce again against clubs with bigger budgets than us