• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Supporters Trust Fans Forum - Thursday 27 July

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
So Nombe isn't going yet?Pleased we have finally cleared that up.Thought Calldwell would block it for as long as he could.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well said. I'm surprised the bit in bold above hasn't been discussed more. I've been on the receiving end at work of a) unnecessarily early morning meetings and b) additional unprogrammed tasks inserted right at the end of a very draining and difficult induction/training week. Both p***** me off and reduced my respect for the leaders - as I felt any work benefit could have been got in less provocative/contentious ways. I thought/hoped that GC had learned from the SAS fiasco at a previous club..... Worth putting this in the context of Sam's response to the question about pre-season training which was (in my view) pretty guarded.
Pro athletes should have a different mentality to me and you though, otherwise they wouldn’t have got there in the first place. I do take your point on Nombe though, not the most enthusiastic response 😂

Still think he will be gone

denzel

Well said. I'm surprised the bit in bold above hasn't been discussed more. I've been on the receiving end at work of a) unnecessarily early morning meetings and b) additional unprogrammed tasks inserted right at the end of a very draining and difficult induction/training week. Both p***** me off and reduced my respect for the leaders - as I felt any work benefit could have been got in less provocative/contentious ways. I thought/hoped that GC had learned from the SAS fiasco at a previous club..... Worth putting this in the context of Sam's response to the question about pre-season training which was (in my view) pretty guarded.
Time will tell i guess. If it means they are fitter when the season starts I'm sure they will accept it.
Pre season was always meant to be tough wasn't it? And at least at this time of year its still light when they got up.

Alistair20000

I'd be staggered if we were to pay a CFO anywhere near 140k, we're not a FTSE 100 company. Would imagine the salary will probably be less than half that.
FTSE 100 CEO Remuneration massively higher

Rosencrantz

Firstly, I've never heard a pro footballer have glowing praise on pre-season. They all pretty much endure it rather than enjoy it. The key to what you say is "unnecessary" and reducing your respect for the leaders. In this case, the staff were doing the extras as well as GC said. Also, why do you think it is unnecessary? I saw an interview with Declan Rice recently he did this time last year and said David Moyes regularly put on triple sessions as part of pre-season. I don't think it is that unusual as part of pre-season. If you are going to give necessary breaks in between sessions to refuel and recuperate, it is going to be a long day. So either start early, or finish really late.

They are professional athletes and pulling these kind of sessions in off season preparation would be no surprise to most elite endurance athletes, whether they be rugby players, swimmers, athletes, cyclists or indeed footballers. Matt Grimes made the point that it took him a long time to reach the strength and fitness levels required at Swansea to be able to compete at Championship level. It should be something our players, especially the younger ones aspire to.

If we are to compete at this level, it is clearly something that can be improved now we have the facilities in place. GC has been through this at a high level himself and so has experience of what a pre-season looks like to get that elite level fitness. This might be new to a lot of our players who have been here a while, but I don't really see any real evidence of not buying into it. They might not find it enjoyable, but they have done the hard graft. The reward should be seen as the season progresses. If it is, then those players might buy in even more next time, even if they still won't enjoy going through it.

Bridgy 81

Firstly, I've never heard a pro footballer have glowing praise on pre-season. They all pretty much endure it rather than enjoy it. The key to what you say is "unnecessary" and reducing your respect for the leaders. In this case, the staff were doing the extras as well as GC said. Also, why do you think it is unnecessary? I saw an interview with Declan Rice recently he did this time last year and said David Moyes regularly put on triple sessions as part of pre-season. I don't think it is that unusual as part of pre-season. If you are going to give necessary breaks in between sessions to refuel and recuperate, it is going to be a long day. So either start early, or finish really late.

They are professional athletes and pulling these kind of sessions in off season preparation would be no surprise to most elite endurance athletes, whether they be rugby players, swimmers, athletes, cyclists or indeed footballers. Matt Grimes made the point that it took him a long time to reach the strength and fitness levels required at Swansea to be able to compete at Championship level. It should be something our players, especially the younger ones aspire to.

If we are to compete at this level, it is clearly something that can be improved now we have the facilities in place. GC has been through this at a high level himself and so has experience of what a pre-season looks like to get that elite level fitness. This might be new to a lot of our players who have been here a while, but I don't really see any real evidence of not buying into it. They might not find it enjoyable, but they have done the hard graft. The reward should be seen as the season progresses. If it is, then those players might buy in even more next time, even if they still won't enjoy going through it.
I agree, plus more importantly, plenty of workers do much longer and more tiring and stressful work/shifts over a significantly longer period of time than professional footballers.

Alistair20000

Jeremy Tipper. New CEO. Very successful according to The Chairman and we are now in a position financially to appoint a CEO and a Chief Financial Officer as well. A quick google search of salary for CFO says a mid range of £140000.….. this is a serious financial investment for the Club on the none playing front. I wonder when the first five year plan will be along?!
For those interested in Mr Tipper’s background I suggest you have a read about Bright Network and data analytics. He is an advisor to this company.
But apparently struggling to invest in the Squad.

We have been here before with Norrie Stewart of course and that did not end well.

ECFC runs a small business with a simple business model.

Do we need a CEO, even if part time ?

andrew p long

I get all that, which is entirely correct. But what I was questioning, as my post said, was the section in bold quoted from Gordon Dale's post namely

a) there is no need to start at 6am. Nobody else does. I think players may think it is a manager striking a pose for no good effect. (We don't play any games at 6am during the season!). And
b) after a programmed triple session from 6am until 5pm, then to add unexpected additional sessions. Perhaps the intention is to show that you can always do more however exhausted you are. However it seems unnecessary - you can tell players at the start of the day what sessions you will do and when. It runs the risk of alienating players if what you say about the day ahead can't be trusted.

It was those issues that I thought worthy of discussion

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

I’m all for pushing the players to the limit.
A twelve hour shift is not unusual in many professions and presumably ours had many breaks during that time, which a lot of other workers don’t.
If that alienates them there’s plenty of vacancies in the NHS or social care.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m all for pushing the players to the limit.
A twelve hour shift is not unusual in many professions and presumably ours had many breaks during that time, which a lot of other workers don’t.
If that alienates them there’s plenty of vacancies in the NHS or social care.
Spot on.