• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Technology,how far can we go ?

downthetrack

Over the last 40 years we've seemed to of moved at a fair rate of knots.
Are we going to hit the road block?
An advance fuel is what we need to move on imo.
If not we could start going backwards.
What do you think ?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Charles Holland Duell may or may not disagree or agree with you.

motorservices

i agree with the OP

I was born in the late 70s and in that time ive seen VHS as being rare to everyone having them and now outdated, CDs were also the same, the internet and computers have made a massive change though
Cars have changed massively in the same time, lets face it a mk1 polo from 1980 compared to a polo 2010 is a major jump forward in every way

Fuel, that wont change imho as the big fuel companies will buy up any new ideas to protect there income

Antony Moxey

Very naive and arrogant to think we might have gone as far as we can. There is so much out there that we don't yet know about - I always chuckle when watching Master and Commander when they're discussing how the ship they're chasing was built and the captain announces that it's a 'thoroughly modern age that we live in'. The film is set in the early 1800s!

motorservices

Although a very good statement Mr Moxey, i think we are in a period where money talks, I knew a woman who worked for a massive company after the war and she told me how a very small company had designed tights that didnt ladder (i have know idea about tights or ladders) anyway the design was purchased by BP, she always told me it was BPs way of protecting there income

So with that in mind if someone (it may already have been done) invented an engine that ran on say grass juice im 110% sure an oil company would snap it up, its not just fuel, but computers/phones, music, we are all in the hands of companies with more money than any of us can true understand

Apple, lets face it are in a fantastic position with more than enough money to control the phones we see and use, and all the time they have that power the small companies will always sell there ideas

but i do think anyone in the age range of 30-50 have seen some of the largest jumps forward in tech

Spoonz Red E

if someone (it may already have been done) invented an engine that ran on say grass juice im 110% sure an oil company would snap it up
There are engines that run on grass juice and, you're right, they have been snapped up by a large company.

McDonalds ;)

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

I am pretty disappointed with how far we've come. I watched Back to the Future last week and in the second one they are in 2015 and quite frankly it looks much more fun. Give me a hover board over a bloody Ipad anyday.

downthetrack

Ant in your profession,is there any improvements manufacturers can make to Robotic GPS Total Stations ?
The advances that have been made in this field have been immense in the last 20 years.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
There are engines that run on grass juice and, you're right, they have been snapped up by a large company.

McDonalds ;)

There has also been a vehicle made totally out of hemp, which also ran on hemp juice. Liquid Hemp is also now believed to help prevent & cure many cancers, however corporate greed dictates that these innovations will be left well & truly on the shelf, whilst the human race carries on destroying rain forests at an alarming rate :(

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although a very good statement Mr Moxey, i think we are in a period where money talks, I knew a woman who worked for a massive company after the war and she told me how a very small company had designed tights that didnt ladder (i have know idea about tights or ladders) anyway the design was purchased by BP, she always told me it was BPs way of protecting there income.
I've often thought along the same lines as you. In the last war Germany massed produced synthetic fuels to power their war machine when the Romanian oil fields were lost to them, and yet the formula to produce such fuels today has been either been lost?... or bought and quietly suppressed. Imagine if such fuel made it into the market place how it would effect middle eastern oil producing countries.