• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ted Lasso is Paul Tisdale. Kind of. Big mention for Mel Gwinnett too

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I believe it is. According to the article, Tisdale is now a co-owner of the club, which has Champions League aspirations!
No evidence from Companies House filings that His Cheesiness is a shareholder or director of the company that owns the club.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know this will be anathema to a lot of people but I think that Paul Tisdale would make an excellent Director of Football, in the same way that Steve Perryman appeared to provide very positive mentoring for managers.
Think he'd be pretty good at the nuts and bolts, if he wasn't required to ever interact with the fans.

andrew p long

Think he'd be pretty good at the nuts and bolts, if he wasn't required to ever interact with the fans.
Don't the fans include quite a few of those nuts?

grecIAN Harris

Fit & Stevenage in the same sentence…😬
And you come up with Fatty Evans........

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting piece here >>> https://twickenham.nub.news/news/local-news/do-you-ever-think-of-buying-a-football-club-we-did-and-this-is-our-story-at-hampton-richmond-borough-fc-182003

While few could argue with the description of Tis as 'a world-class football operator', not sure Mel Gwinnett has done quite enough thus far to be described as 'a world-class manager'. ;)

In a similar vein, the club's photographer is described as 'the best in the league', but appears oblivious to the fact his picture would be much better had he turned his camera on its side and had slightly less ceiling in it lol.

SjfPMjMAoocTDLfqVlBcVouwAt1arH-metaU2NyZWVuc2hvdCAyMDIzLTA0LTI4IGF0IDEyLjEzLjQ2LnBuZw==--categ...jpg

Antony Moxey

Interesting piece here >>> https://twickenham.nub.news/news/local-news/do-you-ever-think-of-buying-a-football-club-we-did-and-this-is-our-story-at-hampton-richmond-borough-fc-182003

While few could argue with the description of Tis as 'a world-class football operator', not sure Mel Gwinnett has done quite enough thus far to be described as 'a world-class manager'. ;)

In a similar vein, the club's photographer is described as 'the best in the league', but appears oblivious to the fact his picture would be much better had he turned his camera on its side and had slightly less ceiling in it lol.

View attachment 14846
And a bit less reflection too. Are they going to turn out to be like a number of tech start-ups who insist everything they do is world class, innovative, ground breaking and going to make the *insert relevant industry here* sit up and take notice? What a massive bunch of onanists.

C j phill

And a bit less reflection too. Are they going to turn out to be like a number of tech start-ups who insist everything they do is world class, innovative, ground breaking and going to make the *insert relevant industry here* sit up and take notice? What a massive bunch of onanists.
Looks very much like the Governement's "world class" test and trace system during the pandemic - misplaced hyperbole at it's best.

Spoonz Red E

Hmmm.

They are obviously big on PR which won't be to everyone's liking.
They talk about involvement, community and diversity which is good.

Proof of the pudding will rest on the match up between hype and actuality.

They mention 'Culture eats strategy for breakfast' as originally coined by Peter Drucker - the educator and management consultant.
Fair enough but there is always a tension between the culture driving results and the egos of owners who may be tempted to revert to command and control if their backs are against the wall. Remember the fall out here between supporters and Tis and his falling back at the end on how he had been the main transformative lever rather than the Trust and others.

The early stats and statements of intent are good and fair play to that.

But there are some possible fault lines ...

"we are building a positive culture that embraces change and promotes diversity of creed, thought and action."
comes up against
"my persona would inevitably become more public which led to increased aggro from the traditionalists that would have preferred their club to be relegated than actually embrace positive growth and transformation".

Also ...

"the unexpected resistance and vitriol coming from a minority of detractors started impacting my mental health and for the first time in my recent history I started allowing thoughts of doubt into my mind."
is qualified with
"if I survived the Congolese jungle, I can certainly survive this."

The Congolese jungle 'survival' experience was actually a 2 week expedition with a documentary maker back in 2018. No doubt rigorous but perhaps a mite over referenced since.

There seems to be push back from some supporters regarding the tendency for the Club to start referring to itself as 'HamRich FC'
and there's a report on Twitter from Feb 10th of a physical fight between one of the owners and a supporter

As I say - interesting to see how it develops.
If they achieve the community ideals as set out and improve the club - sounds good to me.
But egos will have to be checked methinks.

Other things from the article
- Tis is mentioned in the article as a sponsor rather than part owner.
- The photographer's photos from match days are pretty good to be fair and the suspended ceiling photo shown in the article isn't actually credited to anyone. The photographer is an Argyle fan 'though. :devilish:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It actually seems a good fit for Tisdale's skill set, interests and sporting principles.
It'll be interesting to see how it develops.
If the cap fits...

Last edited:

Alistair20000

View attachment 14846
What a crock of sh!te.

What in the name of fcuk is a “football operator” ?

As Mr Moxey says.