• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

That's Obstruction, that is!

robchave

Some time ago, I remember a discussion about 'obstruction', whereby the then interpretation was explained as being something like : a defender following a ball is deemed to be in control of the ball, even if he's not actually touched it.

However, we now seem to have completely moved on from this. We regularly see defenders moving round a ball to put their body in such a position to stop their opponent playing the ball, whilst making no attempt to play it themselves. As I often shout when seeing this happen - That's obstruction that is!

Can any refs on here tell me why not?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm very much with Robchave on the tedious nature of seeing defenders 'shepherding the ball out of play' often not letting the attacker touch it for ten yards or so.

My recollection is that its not obstruction where the player is 'within playing distance of the ball' (which is broadly consistent with Robchave's understanding)

I think this is another rule - irrespective of one's view about it - where enforcement has become lax. The defender will often back in to the other player with the ball more than a yard away and therefore outside playing distance.

(now as for taking throw ins from where the ball left the pitch or retreating ten yards at a free kick....!)

grecIAN Harris

It's part of the 'dark arts' that referees neither know or understand so they just simply do not recognise it.

TSW1389

May aswell put this is the same bracket as foul throws and the keeper holding onto the ball.
Always going to be the grey areas just for the sake of keeping the game "flowing"

Alistair20000

I detest “shepherding the ball out”.

JCWhoosh

Some time ago, I remember a discussion about 'obstruction', whereby the then interpretation was explained as being something like : a defender following a ball is deemed to be in control of the ball, even if he's not actually touched it.

However, we now seem to have completely moved on from this. We regularly see defenders moving round a ball to put their body in such a position to stop their opponent playing the ball, whilst making no attempt to play it themselves. As I often shout when seeing this happen - That's obstruction that is!

Can any refs on here tell me why not?
I get so frustrated with this but not just defenders. I can't stand the way teams play in the corner to see out the win and clearly use their body to obstruct. I'm surprised more isn't done to stop this. I'm also surprised we haven't seen more injuries from players getting so frustrated with it that they just don't just come through the back of them.

robchave

I get so frustrated with this but not just defenders. I can't stand the way teams play in the corner to see out the win and clearly use their body to obstruct. I'm surprised more isn't done to stop this. I'm also surprised we haven't seen more injuries from players getting so frustrated with it that they just don't just come through the back of them.
I remember a certain game against Cambridge (?), in the Conference, where Flacky ran in from about twenty yards and 'took out' about three players, thigh high. If memory serves, about 5 players were sent off in that match - one at half-time in the tunnel !

rifraf

The ball had to be in "playing distance" was the crux when I was a referee..... i.e if you freeze frame at any moment and ask yourself could the defender touch any part of the ball with any (legal) part of his body, he's OK . If not - obstruction. Penalty: indirect free kick. 'Playing distance' is open to interpretation, and a lot of refs get it wrong I feel nowadays.

P.S. Worth mentioning the last time I read the rule book was 97 years ago ...... when that figure was surely in playing distance of the actual truth ref?.

denzel

Anyone who saw the incident in the Northern Ireland match last night, with the 'time-wasting' booking, will realise that there is no consistency in refereeing.
Or maybe we should alI look forward to the next booking for wasting time at a throw or goal kick next time it happens.....

LDNGrecian

Anyone who saw the incident in the Northern Ireland match last night, with the 'time-wasting' booking, will realise that there is no consistency in refereeing.
Or maybe we should alI look forward to the next booking for wasting time at a throw or goal kick next time it happens.....
Or on the flip side, because it has blown up it shows there is consistency? This error was due to the referee forgetting he'd booked Lewis, you could see it plain across his face after the Swiss players pointed out it was his second.

Re: playing distance. This is something that is widely done and accepted in football. Trying to change something personally as a referee is not a good idea as players act as expected and won't expect to be penalised for doing this. Just leads to a whole lot of aggro over what essentially is a goal kick.