• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The History Thread

Radio Free Skaro

This is the perfect place for discussion of all things history. From the Vikings to Queen Victoria, Brunel to Boudica.

I will kick off, why didnt the Anglo Saxons or Celts make use of the existing Roman infrastructure? Central heating, aquaducts villas have to be better than Thatched huts and living with cattle?

Bridgy 81

This is the perfect place for discussion of all things history. From the Vikings to Queen Victoria, Brunel to Boudica.
I will kick off, why didnt the Anglo Saxons or Celts make use of the existing Roman infrastructure? Central heating, aquaducts villas have to be better than Thatched huts and living with cattle?
I’ve absolutely no idea.
But I’m right behind this thread.
I like history.
I’ll post when I have something relevant to say 🙂

lamrobhero

Because King Arthur came along and invented medieval castles knights in armour etc.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster

Because they were lazy boogers? 😜
As an aside I would highly recommend "Unruly" by David Mitchell. A somewhat irreverent but seeming historically accurate review of our monarchy from the mythical days of King Arthur until (sadly only so far) Good Queen Bess.

I can almost forgive him for stealing the delectable Ms Coren from us.

lamrobhero

Because Christianity came along and everybody has to embrace poverty.

Bridgy 81

As an aside I would highly recommend "Unruly" by David Mitchell. A somewhat irreverent but seeming historically accurate review of our monarchy from the mythical days of King Arthur until (sadly only so far) Good Queen Bess.
I have that book on the way to me from my local library.
It looks interesting.

lamrobhero

According to Hoskins (2000 years in Exeter) the Celts and Saxons could live side by side in Exeter because there were a lot of empty buildings about. So depopulation ? All the Romans went back to Italy? Free movement!.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster

I think I read the Saxons and the other invaders weren't keen on using the existing stone buildings as they thought they were haunted by the ghosts of the Romans.

Rosencrantz

I think the simple answer is that the Celts and the settling Anglo Saxons just didn't know how to maintain, let alone build, to the Roman expertise. Certainly the Anglo Saxons initially stuck to what they knew and the Roman infrastructure just slowly slipped into disrepair.

Avening Posse

Good thread, another recommended read is The “Tribes of Britain who are we and where do we come from” by David Miles