• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The official Exeter City v Cambridge United matchday thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can't make it today, work an stuff.

Could do with a win!
Same here. Very disappointed not to be able to make the SJP scene today.

UTC

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeweb come 5pm if we lose!
View attachment 11073
I am slightly concerned how you obtained this picture of me Just prior to McNab being fired on 2003.

arthur

but we seemingly played a lot better than in other games against Shrewsbury. I forgot to add playing players in their positions to the task list.

I would do one of the two below today with my preference being towards the top formation. (I will stick my neck out on the line today, As I won't be at the game and will only be listing via Radio Devon)

Blackman or Woods

Sweeney, Aimson, Hartridge

Key Sparkes

McDonald Collins Kite

Coley (If fit) or Mitchell or Chauke (but this is a sticking plaster to Brown being our )

Nombe Stanno

The only other option imho, this would give us pace on Both flanks.

Blackman or Woods

Caprice Aimson Hartridge Sparkes (Or Grounds, as Sparkes is not really a straight up LB, but definitely better going forward which is what we need to focus on in this game imho)

Key Collins McDonald Mitchell

Nombe Stanno

both of those imho give us the best opportunity to attack with pace and hopefully create chances. #

I think Caldwell will do.

Woods

Sweeney Aimson Hartridge

Kite Caprice

McDonald Collins

Key or White

Nombe Scott

Either way, Tbh today, I don't care how we achieve it, the match can send the crowd to sleep for all i Care, as long as we get 3 points, I won't be particularly fussed how we achieve it.
Option 1 - Coley is not a Number 10. And people complain about Caldwell playing people out of position

Option 2 - Key is a right back or right wing back. Kite is a CM or back four member, not a wing back

Option 3 - Key is certainly not a number 10 - he played there once and was dreadful

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Option 1 - Coley is not a Number 10. And people complain about Caldwell playing people out of position

Option 2 - Key is a right back or right wing back. Kite is a CM or back four member, not a wing back

Option 3 - Key is certainly not a number 10 - he played there once and was dreadful
In option 2 Caprice and Key would interchange and take turns attacking n defending to ensure they can keep it up more during the game and of all the different positions key has played out the two, RW he has done better at in the past (Of the out of position places he has played) and essentially focuses more on his attacking play to hurt the Cambridge defence, which he has the capability to do and is more direct than Caprice if we went 4 4 2. I would also if option 2 was done, if fit, look at getting Coley on the pitch in the 2nd half.

Coley is purely as no one else has worked in that position since Jevani has been unavailable and if we are retaining that formation I think he's worth a go there. I have stated or in that position also. Coley does have some strengths which could lead to him being ok on that role on a short term basis

Option 3 is stated what I think Caldwell will do, not what I would do.

To confirm, Whatever we play today, we should have the capability to beat Cambridge. Anything less than a win, then serious questions will be asked of Caldwell (I am hopeful we can all have a few days off following a win). Essentially in option 1, the number 10 role is the only position we need to potentially play someone out of position to accommodate the absence of Brown. The other 10 positions it is either or isn't it. Key / Caprice, Mitchell / Sparkes, Kite / McDonald / Collins etc. I think I just want to see 9/10 out of 11 positions with players in their strongest positions. The number 10 role is a sticking plaster solution at the moment due to Brown's absence, hence why I suggested a 4 4 2 as I did.

I mean we could try 4 3 3, but this didn't particularly work last week at Vale.

Last edited:

Andy_H

This will be Cambs 2nd long, 450 mile round trip, journey of the week, Cambs - Fleetwood 225, Cambs - SJP 221, so hopefully they'll have 'bus bum' and fail to get going once on the pitch. You can but dream!

CC

Option 1 you want to play 12 players.

iscalad

Going to be a bit chilly today, let's hope some City goals will warm us up. UTC.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Option 1 you want to play 12 players.
That will obviously help and with the standards of officiating they wouldn't notice.

Sorry should say Collins or Kite.

Reactions: CC

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's currently 4c on a light grey clouded morning in Exeter. That said, it feels colder in the NE wind, somewhere around 1c. We had about 2mm of rain overnight, the first rain in over a week. Although the sun is trying to break through the clouds, I fear sunshine will be in short supply today (somewhat like tomatoes). I wouldn't anticipate it getting much above a notional 7or 8 today, so it's going to be a chilly watch this afternoon. Quite apart from feeling chilly I also fear that goals will be in short supply this afternoon, despite Cambridge having a GD of -18, we don't seem to have scored too prolifically recently, either. I will update around 13:00, but don't expect it to be much different to this.
What's in season to throw at players instead of Tom's ?

Red red

Just to put a damper on before the game today’s ref is the worst one I have seen this season. He reffed the Cheltenham game at home allowed Cheltenham all the time wasting they needed. Fear for this game today now. Saying that he had a good game Wednesday down the road