• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster

Phil Sayers

The home of Supreme Court Justice Alito now has an upside down Stars and Stripes flying outside. That is an emblem of 'MAGA' meaning 'Stop the Steal'....

I would imagine he will now be under considerable pressure (and quite rightly so!) to recuse himself from hearing any of the further Trump cases that come before the Supreme Court which would eat into the conservative majority there. IMO there is no way he can avoid concluding that flying that flag does not at least create a perception of possible bias.

EDIT: Correction - the flag is not new but that it was flown back in 2020 has only just come to light. I don't think that changes what I said about bias and recusal.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The home of Supreme Court Justice Alito now has an upside down Stars and Stripes flying outside. That is an emblem of 'MAGA' meaning 'Stop the Steal'....

I would imagine he will now be under considerable pressure (and quite rightly so!) to recuse himself from hearing any of the further Trump cases that come before the Supreme Court which would eat into the conservative majority there. IMO there is no way he can avoid concluding that flying that flag does not at least create a perception of possible bias.

EDIT: Correction - the flag is not new but that it was flown back in 2020 has only just come to light. I don't think that changes what I said about bias and recusal.
No chance of that happening. Clarence Thomas' wife was involved in attempting to overthrow the 2020 election, and he still carries on.

tavyred

Are the judges in the US Supreme Court expected to be political neutral?
Genuine question as I was under the impression their political allegiances are well known and front and centre when they get nominated and selected.
With the American justice system if a judge gets appointed and he’s right wing (or left!) crackpot there’s not much that can be done as far as I can see. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Genuine question as I was under the impression their political allegiances are well known and front and centre when they get nominated and selected.
With the American justice system if a judge gets appointed and he’s right wing (or left!) crackpot there’s not much that can be done as far as I can see. 🤷‍♂️
They're totally political, Don't they have an odd number like 5 or 7? So that's where it can be sticky.

Phil Sayers

I think the answer to this is both yes and no. They are appointed by the President and have known political allegiances. However, the reason that Presidents pick them is theoretically whether they prefer conservative interpretations of law or purposive / progressive interpretations of law rather than to simply serve the party they support / do the bidding of whoever appointed them. Their function should be a judicial one rather than a political one.

Phil Sayers

They're totally political, Don't they have an odd number like 5 or 7? So that's where it can be sticky.
There are nine - lots of Democrats are urging that the number be expanded because Trump got lucky with regards the number of vacancies that arose while in office and was able to appoint a number who are relatively young and will be there for decades.

DB9

There are nine - lots of Democrats are urging that the number be expanded because Trump got lucky with regards the number of vacancies that arose while in office and was able to appoint a number who are relatively young and will be there for decades.
So it is an odd number and with US politics being so polarised there will always be a partisan approach?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
He got lucky, but the Democrats perhaps could have been a bit less naive and put a bit more pressure on Ginsberg to retire. They learned their lesson when Breyer retired, but too late unfortunately.

Spoonz Red E

More than luck involved.

Mitch McConnell made it a long term project to finagle a right wing Supreme Court.
He stopped Obama's pick of Merrick Garland by insisting it wouldn't be right to appoint a Justice in an election year.
Then somehow forgot this principle when Trump's pick Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed 6 days before the election.

Trump managed to pick 3 Supreme Court Justices.

There is a confirmation process whereby potential Justices are quizzed by Senate.
Both Brett Kavanagh and Coney Barrett lied during their confirmations regarding their position on Roe v Wade.