• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Torquay squander a 2 goal lead, Ending up drawing 2-2 against Aveley at Plainmore, Not sure what the crowd was as there was a call to arms to attend.

tom_ecfc

Torquay squander a 2 goal lead, Ending up drawing 2-2 against Aveley at Plainmore, Not sure what the crowd was as there was a call to arms to attend.
IMG_2469.jpeg

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gotta feeling that there is most interest in Torquay on Exeweb, than on their own forums!! I have just visited All things Plainmoor - TorquayFans.com | Torquay United Fans Forum and joking aside this is actually correct!! . Perhaps there is another forum that I don't know about or Gulls fans are all on FB or Twitter - Gulls fans where are you?
I signed up to that message board in December 2019 to make a comment on the TUST thread about the lack of engagement. The thread was on page 21 then. Today, even after everything that's happened this week, it's still only on page 39.

That says everything you need to know.

I was surprised when the crowd was read out. The ground was packed (other than the away end which was closed) so I expected the attendance to be bigger, especially as people had been having to queue online to buy tickets. You couldn’t get into the club shop before or after the game unless you were prepared to queue for ages, so the crowd figure was greeted with a fair bit of scepticism when it was announced. It’s clear there were lots of ”ghost tickets” sold but they weren’t included in the attendance.

The game wasn’t great but that didn’t matter really; people felt galvanised and possibly optimistic for the first time in a very long time.

The mood was tempered by the presence of a brooding George Edwards in the directors box and so the positive vibes were frequently punctuated by anger and abuse being directed at him. The arrogance of the man is astounding and he really should have read the mood of the room as his attendance just served to antagonise and also create the suspicion that Clarke Osborne is still pulling the strings, which in reality, he is as he still owns the club.

There was clear gratitude to fans of other clubs who have shown support, Plymouth fans wearing their colours were visible but I noticed some had spent money in the club shop as well, so fair play to them.

DB9

I was surprised when the crowd was read out. The ground was packed (other than the away end which was closed) so I expected the attendance to be bigger, especially as people had been having to queue online to buy tickets. You couldn’t get into the club shop before or after the game unless you were prepared to queue for ages, so the crowd figure was greeted with a fair bit of scepticism when it was announced. It’s clear there were lots of ”ghost tickets” sold but they weren’t included in the attendance.

The game wasn’t great but that didn’t matter really; people felt galvanised and possibly optimistic for the first time in a very long time.

The mood was tempered by the presence of a brooding George Edwards in the directors box and so the positive vibes were frequently punctuated by anger and abuse being directed at him. The arrogance of the man is astounding and he really should have read the mood of the room as his attendance just served to antagonise and also create the suspicion that Clarke Osborne is still pulling the strings, which in reality, he is as he still owns the club.

There was clear gratitude to fans of other clubs who have shown support, Plymouth fans wearing their colours were visible but I noticed some had spent money in the club shop as well, so fair play to them.
I guess until an administrator is appointed Osborne is thinking " I still own this club and maybe someone will come in and buy it and I won't lose a shed load " Once the administrator is appointed then he loses control and his money.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

Not sure I would be able to wear a half and half Torquay and Exeter scarf so fair play to those Argyle fans. However, I would certainly if attending in solidarity buy a good wedge say of 50/50 tickets to swell the coffers.

I still don't understand the mentality of Osborne as people with money aren't usually stupid. However, to rack up debts of 5M rendering a sale of the club impossible to thus get your money back beggers belief. Surely in his many meetings with the council he would have been able to read the room to know a long time since that he was never going to get his hands on Plainmoor. Osborne isn't in the Top 100 Rich list so losing a sizeable wedge of his children's inheritance must wake him up in a cold sweat.

It would of course have been in the financial interest of TUFC's cash flow to under report the attendance as it would mean less VAT to pay - not that I'm accusing anyone but in a theoretical situation it would :whistle:

Boyo

Not sure I would be able to wear a half and half Torquay and Exeter scarf so fair play to those Argyle fans. However, I would certainly if attending in solidarity buy a good wedge say of 50/50 tickets to swell the coffers.

I still don't understand the mentality of Osborne as people with money aren't usually stupid. However, to rack up debts of 5M rendering a sale of the club impossible to thus get your money back beggers belief. Surely in his many meetings with the council he would have been able to read the room to know a long time since that he was never going to get his hands on Plainmoor. Osborne isn't in the Top 100 Rich list so losing a sizeable wedge of his children's inheritance must wake him up in a cold sweat.

It would of course have been in the financial interest of TUFC's cash flow to under report the attendance as it would mean less VAT to pay - not that I'm accusing anyone but in a theoretical situation it would :whistle:
I think I read that Osbourne borrowed the money that he “invested” into Torquay. Obviously the terms are unknown, but suspect that it’s not his personal money that’s lost.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think I read that Osbourne borrowed the money that he “invested” into Torquay. Obviously the terms are unknown, but suspect that it’s not his personal money that’s lost.
Whoever or whatever bank that is they will want their money back so even more stupid of him

DB9

Depending on the terms of any alleged loan, Surely he'll be liable for it?

Mid Devon Grecian

Depending on the terms of any alleged loan, Surely he'll be liable for it?
The loan is from Riviera Stadium Ltd and it’s unsecured. He isn’t going to get his money back unless some generous soul decides to buy the club for about £5m!!