• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was 'The Last Grandstand' and those who contributed were given three options, a gift, repayment after 5 years with no interest or a seson ticket deal that could be negotiated. In the end the number of people who opted for 2 and 3 was very small, but we made good on the promise to repay those who wanted it. The majority donated/loaned £1000, but there were several other different amounts form £500 upwards. I still have several of the letters from those who were repaid stressing what a difference the promises we made as a Trust differed from those of the previous regime.
Is it too late to ask for my money back David? 🙏😂

andrew p long

I'm wondering how the figure of '150k must be raised' has been arrived at. It seems it is to be added to the 60k already raised.

As TUST is expecting to own 50% does that mean that the other investors are also putting in 210k between them? And is 420k a purchase price for the club or is the money to be used for something else?

Silence from TUST on these issues and they also (understandably) ask for patience from those of us wanting to know more - see yesterday's update

But they will need to be more transparent soon (I'm one of those willing to help a plan that has a decent chance of working but, without more detail, there's no way to know whether this is going to be splurging cash on a failing venture pre-CVA, when money might be better kept in reserve for a phoenix club.)

DB9

DB9

Think if they do go part time that would be sensible, Being full time in a league where I'd imagine commercial income from TV and other income is drastically reduced is foolhardy, Go part time, steady the ship and take it from there, If you go up then go back to full time, their fans need to understand this and most of all be patient.

DB9

Not sure why but I find myself really interested in how the troubles at TUFC will pan out, I find the fact that the intention of going into administration and actually going into it hasn't happened when Osborne says he can no longer finance the club really weird and how are they coming up with money (Wages, HMRC, Energy costs etc) Also dipping in to their fans forum, There is real divide about the future, The TUST/Consortium option is not favoured by many, Main thing is about the possibility of going part time plus it seems like the TUST are a not so willing partner and possible reluctant owner, Basically their heart is no into owning it but will as a last resort, It does seem all those initial potential buyers may have been wishful thinking and some if not all have withered away. The part time thing is certainly not favoured and there are a few that hope some White Knight will come and wipe the slate clean, Invest the money needed to get back into the EFL. I look at the NLN and see the likes of Hereford, Chester, Scunthorpe etc still at the same level as TUFC after years of trying to get back and thinking some of TUFC fans think its going to be easy. Their fans seem disunited when really they should all be singing from one voice.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
On my travels on Monday I heard someone (possibly Michael Westcott) talking on Radio Devon about their bid. He was saying all the right things and did say they may have to go part time. He also said the ultimate aim if his consortium is successful is to put the club in the hands of the fans.

Listen here from 7 minutes onwards

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't see a sustainable medium term let along longer term solution for Torquay until they face the stark reality of their actual situation not the fantasy situation they would like. The reality is no white knight will buy the club, retain their full time status and the notion of a return to the football league is at best at least twenty years away if ever. The reality for Torquay may be hard to swallow but going part time isn't an option and the only option that makes any sense going forward is to go bust and start again. It may seem painful to some but even administation may not be an affordable option and whilst the fan base have no common sense of purpose then they will just end up limping along for a while until they have to face facts. I've been saying this for the best part of two years but it's hard to accept if it's your club. I'm sure Hereford fans got misty eyed thinking about Ronnie Radford until they realised going bust was their only realistic way forward.

Spoonz Red E

On my travels on Monday I heard someone (possibly Michael Westcott) talking on Radio Devon about their bid. He was saying all the right things and did say they may have to go part time. He also said the ultimate aim if his consortium is successful is to put the club in the hands of the fans.

Listen here from 7 minutes onwards

And yet he also says this ...
"I don't believe the benefactor model is sustainable in the long term for lower league football anywhere in this country, but if we do have a sugar daddy on the horizon that comes sailing in on the 11th hour, then great and we would we would do everything we can to support their custodianship.

DB9

"I don't believe the benefactor model is sustainable in the long term for lower league football anywhere in this country, but if we do have a sugar daddy on the horizon that comes sailing in on the 11th hour, then great and we would we would do everything we can to support their custodianship.
There was in the interview a question for the TUST regarding if another bid is successful, Not the one they've nailed their colours too and his answer was they'd drop their combined bid and support the other one, If i heard that right.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I missed that bit, navigating flooded roads on Dartmoor with a small child in tow was not conducive to listening properly...