• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Sorry Horse And Head Dray

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
It seemed to have character, though rough around the edges that these soulless wine bars so severely lack
I'm all in favour of character and I hate wine bars. My problem with the Horse and Dray was the locals who glared as you walked in and the landlady(?) who just said "What?" when I got to the bar. Places like the Prospect Inn and the Ship and Pelican remain traditional(ish) but manage to be welcoming at the same time.

Rog H K

Contrary to what Phil said, I actually enjoyed my few visits to the Horse and Dray in its final few months.
Me and my friends from work went in here for a laugh one night and actually went back the following Fridays. It seemed to have character, though rough around the edges that these soulless wine bars so severely lack
I Bet they still had Double Diamond on the pump? :D
I played Skittles out the back a few times. Is the Skittle alley still there?

PeteUSA

Amber Rooms do you mean? Not only a crap name but a crap bar. Plays music so loudly you can't hear a word someone opposite you is saying.
It was originally The Greyhound. They used to have a very good football team.

Why was 'Pelican' added to the old Ship Inn in Heavitree? That was my nearest local.

Rog H K

I'm all in favour of character and I hate wine bars. My problem with the Horse and Dray was the locals who glared as you walked in and the landlady(?) who just said "What?" when I got to the bar. Places like the Prospect Inn and the Ship and Pelican remain traditional(ish) but manage to be welcoming at the same time.
Not many Exeter pubs still oldyworldy left. Anyone been Down to the 'Welcome Inn' on the canal lately? The Landlady was 129 last time I was there!

Rog H K

It was originally The Greyhound. They used to have a very good football team.

Why was 'Pelican' added to the old Ship Inn in Heavitree? That was my nearest local.
Changed some time in the early 80's. Got me on that one*-)

Swanaldo

I went in to the Horse and Dray early one morning when the World Cup was on (Japan and South Korea one, so the early matches kicked of around 7:30 am). They had had some sort of party the night before, and had lots of buffet stuff left over that they let me help myself to. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, sitting there watching footy with my pint and piles of free sausage rolls and sandwiches.

On a more negative note, as Phil mentions, 'Trish' was a bit of a battleaxe and they did serve the worst Guinness ever.

I'm a fan of the Angel, Fat Pig, Firehouse, Oddfellows and other 'progressive' boozers but think it would be a shame if we became overran with them and lost all our proper pubs. I'm glad to report that my local still has pork scratchings, a handled pint glass of communal darts, a terrible jukebox and a grumpy man with a beard sitting at the end of the bar abusing everyone.

PeteUSA

Nice to read that the Oddfellows and presumably the Locomotive still have their original name.

Rog H K

and a grumpy man with a beard sitting at the end of the bar abusing everyone.
I'm going to shave soon, honest!:)

Swanaldo

Nice to read that the Oddfellows and presumably the Locomotive still have their original name.
The loco has not changed a bit. Full of scroats and generally horrible.

Oddfellows, which has been called the Thirsty Camel, The Gate and some b*ll*cksy Irish name in recent years is actually a very good pub now.

Rog H K

Did you know the Albert, Roadhouse, Showman next to the Church in St Thom's is all boarded up. I heard it will become housing in some way soon. The last landlord tried to get a music licence and he was denied as 1 resident complained. I wonder if she was living there when the Falcons were in town!