• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Sorry Horse And Head Dray

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Roadhouse/Showman is the pub someone alluded to being boarded-up earlier in the thread.
It was the Prince Albert???...until the late 1980's....& of course The Merry Monk was a staging point off Fore St

Last edited:

IndoMike

Sawyer's is a Wetherspoons now. The Roadhouse/Showman is the pub someone alluded to being boarded-up earlier in the thread. You'd have had The Devonport on the right and The Mint on the left as you went up Fore Street.
Thanks for that, Swanaldo.. Can you remember the name of the pub on the left going down Cowick St more or less under the railway bridge going towards Exe Bridge? I can remember it was a bit wild west...keep your head down, knock your drink back, and get out of there. It's probably gone now or been turned into something else

CC

Thanks for that, Swanaldo.. Can you remember the name of the pub on the left going down Cowick St more or less under the railway bridge going towards Exe Bridge? I can remember it was a bit wild west...keep your head down, knock your drink back, and get out of there. It's probably gone now or been turned into something else
That'd be The Kings.

PeteUSA

The First & Last was originally the Falmouth Inn. (The first pub team I refereed in 1971)

On the St Thomas side of the Cowick Street railway bridge where the Nat West Bank now stands was the Turks Head. (Yes there was another Turks Head next to the Guildhall). Still in existance on the other side is the Kings Arms.

Swanaldo

The pub on the left going down Cowick St more or less under the railway bridge going towards Exe Bridge? I can remember it was a bit wild west...
It's probably gone now or been turned into something else
The Kings Arms, as others have testified, has not changed a bit. I must confess it's a pub I have never been in. When I lived in Exeter I was much more in the Bowling Green, Globe Inn, Brook Green, Mount Radford sort of area.

IndoMike

That'd be The Kings.
That's the one.. Tx

IndoMike

The First & Last was originally the Falmouth Inn. (The first pub team I refereed in 1971)

On the St Thomas side of the Cowick Street railway bridge where the Nat West Bank now stands was the Turks Head. (Yes there was another Turks Head next to the Guildhall). Still in existence on the other side is the Kings Arms.
Yes, Pete, I remember it when it was the Falmouth..Rarely went in there, but I remember it was small and poky. Can't recall the Turks Head. You mean the place that was near the steps going up to the St Thomas railway station?

IndoMike

The Kings Arms, as others have testified, has not changed a bit. I must confess it's a pub I have never been in. When I lived in Exeter I was much more in the Bowling Green, Globe Inn, Brook Green, Mount Radford sort of area.
It doesn't come highly recommended...(IMO)...
I was mainly Dorset Ave, off Dunsford Hill, so St Thomas pubs were the nearest watering holes on the way up to the Black Horse in Longbrook St ..

PeteUSA

The Turks Head. You mean the place that was near the steps going up to the St Thomas railway station?
No Mike, the Turks Head I mean was demolished in around 1970 when the St Thomas Shopping Precinct was developed. It was very close to the railway bridge, and stood on the same site as the Nat West Bank today. It was much further forward than the bank is though, with a very narrow pavement outside. At that time, Cowick Street was narrow all the way along from the Turks Head to the corner of Buller Road. I dont know why the Kings Arms is set back like it is, since Cowick Street remained narrow all the way to the old original Exe Bridge.

IndoMike

No Mike, the Turks Head I mean was demolished in around 1970 when the St Thomas Shopping Precinct was developed. It was very close to the railway bridge, and stood on the same site as the Nat West Bank today. It was much further forward than the bank is though, with a very narrow pavement outside. At that time, Cowick Street was narrow all the way along from the Turks Head to the corner of Buller Road. I dont know why the Kings Arms is set back like it is, since Cowick Street remained narrow all the way to the old original Exe Bridge.
OK Pete. I think I vaguely remember it. The funny thing is that there were/are lots of pubs in Cowick St, but don't remember many in Okehampton St...just the one ? I can't remember the widening of Cowick St, but I do remember the flooding which badly affected the street and the neighboring areas and also walking across the frozen River Exe when I was a little nipper. Brings a tear to the eye....