• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The TV/Film/Radio Comedy Thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some of the stuff on the Obituary thread was interesting but it felt wrong on there.

I would concur that Friends left me cold but I did like Hogan's Heroes.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Before we get going on this I'd like to say that everyone calling out American comedies ought to spend some time living in Germany.

Alistair20000

Before we get going on this I'd like to say that everyone calling out American comedies ought to spend some time living in Germany.
I lived in Germany but not after age 12. The Germans did not seem a happy bunch. They certainly don't know how to laugh at themselves.

Rosencrantz

I do prefer British comedies, I think partly because of the writing process where it is very rarely a writers room as it is in the US. It tends to be more focused on characters rather than gags when there are less writers in my opinion. That said there have been plenty of comedies from the US I have enjoyed and will watch when they are on. Frasier, Third Rock From The Sun and the Michael J Fox era Spin City being particular favourites.

cannockred

Well known for their sense of humour are the germans 😂

Stelios

Loved a bit of Sgt Bilko me

Avening Posse

I also prefer UK comedies but I have loved some of the American ones. Too many to mention in fact, but Taxi, Cheers, Frasier, Married with Children and The Big Bang Theory spring to mind. Also loved Bilko !

Spoonz Red E

My taste in comedy is pretty wide ranging.
It's quite a statement for anyone to make when saying 'this is going to make you laugh'.

I've always had a particular soft spot for eccentrics and ensembles.
Spike Jones & The City Slickers.
Marx Brothers.
Viv Stanshall & The Bonzos.
Spike Milligan & The Goons.

cannockred

My taste in comedy is pretty wide ranging.
It's quite a statement for anyone to make when saying 'this is going to make you laugh'.

I've always had a particular soft spot for eccentrics and ensembles.
Spike Jones & The City Slickers.
Marx Brothers.
Viv Stanshall & The Bonzos.
Spike Milligan & The Goons.
Used to love listening to the old radio comedies when I was visiting my parents when they were stationed overseas in the 70's.

Add to the above 'round the horne', brilliant.

iscalad

Well, if we are enthralled by radio comedy, I give you Hancock's Half Hour. Sublime writing by Galton and Simpson.