• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The very first vinyl record you bought.....

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Regretfully, I dont think this thread will appeal to the exeweb youngsters like Lez and Max, since I doubt if they can barely recall cassettes, let alone the dear old vinyl us mature types grew up with.

I think my 'Avatar' thread has run its course after seven years, so we need a different slant. It could be that the younger element might contain some avid vinyl collectors who keep searching for 'Smile' by Queen, or Freddie Mercury AKA Larry Lurex with 'I can hear music', which is extremely collectable. I'm pretty sure that there must be a fair faction of younger exewebbers who for some reason have an affinity for a record that even if if they were to young to buy it themselves, they remember it with fondness because it was a favorite of their mum or dad.

I'll go first, since I'd better get the **** taking over and done with!

The first record I bought was in 1954, and it was 'Dont Laugh at me cos' I'm a fool' by Norman Wisdom. This was a 12" disc which played at 78 RPM and was the type that if you sat on it, or dropped it, it broke into a 1,000 pieces!

Anybody else got fond memories of those dear old vinyl (acylic) days?

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
I once had quite a big collection of singles the first being Crocodile Rock by Elton John, who wasn't considered so naff in those days. My first album was Pinups by David Bowie. Otherwise, I remember my Mum playing Help by The Beatles, Downtown by Petula Clark and Spanish Flea by Herb Alpert.

Last edited:

Swanaldo

Vinyl collectors who keep searching for 'Smile' by Queen.
'Smile' was Roger Taylor and Brian May's band before recruiting Freddie Mercury and thus becoming Queen, rather than the name of a song.

Here to know too much about Queen.

First single I can remember owning was Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens.

Mike Blackstone

'Here Cones The Night' by Them. Must have been around 1963-64? I've still got it! Goodness knows when it was last played though, along with lots of other 45's from the 1960s, all stored in boxes in their original 'wrappers.'

StroudGrecian

Chicory Tip - Son of my Father - 1972

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's

It's in mint condition. I got it last year for £4 at a boot sale. Though only as an investment.

Swanaldo

Make sure you also pay into a pension to supplement your astute investment, memo.

Red the Paper

Banned
Money by Flying Lizards and London Boys by David Bowie

GJW

First mainstream single was Father Abraham and the Smurfs with the Smurf Song, in 1978. I was bought a single from Woolworths when I was about 7 that was songs from the Wizard of Oz.

I really miss those days.

cityregular

Regretfully, I dont think this thread will appeal to the exeweb youngsters like Lez and Max, since I doubt if they can barely recall cassettes, let alone the dear old vinyl us mature types grew up with.

I think my 'Avatar' thread has run its course after seven years, so we need a different slant. It could be that the younger element might contain some avid vinyl collectors who keep searching for 'Smile' by Queen, or Freddie Mercury AKA Larry Lurex with 'I can hear music', which is extremely collectable. I'm pretty sure that there must be a fair faction of younger exewebbers who for some reason have an affinity for a record that even if if they were to young to buy it themselves, they remember it with fondness because it was a favorite of their mum or dad.

I'll go first, since I'd better get the **** taking over and done with!

The first record I bought was in 1954, and it was 'Dont Laugh at me cos' I'm a fool' by Norman Wisdom. This was a 12" disc which played at 78 RPM and was the type that if you sat on it, or dropped it, it broke into a 1,000 pieces!

Anybody else got fond memories of those dear old vinyl (acylic) days?
Lonnie Donegan----Cumberland Gap