• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tony Kellow RIP

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks to all who have posted, to share their memories of the great man. It feels like a bridge between what City are today & its history - & without that history, a football club is nothing.

It all brings home to me why Exeter City is so special, & why exeweb is so special.

thank you

Martin Weiler

Sad sad news. What really stands out about his goalscoring contribution to our history is that for seven seasons he was knocking them in at the highest level City have ever played at - the old Division 3 (now League 1). His record of 82 Third Tier League goals for City will take some beating. And of course he scored many more in Division 4. I've just been watching the Supporters' Club DVD of the 76-77 championship season. It starts with a wonderfully nostalgic pre-season interview with Manager John Newman who explains what made him sign Kellow. Others had ignored him because of his age but Newman talked of his goalscoring record for Falmouth, his tremendous attitude, his build, character and skill. How right he was - what a signing!! Mind you Newman also says he was 'shy of publicity'. Shy would not be a word I would use to describe him in later years. Who can forget his legendary appearences in the SJC for example. A star on and off the pitch.
RIP Kells

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
So saddened when I read this today. Kells was my all time City hero. And now he has left us. Farewell fella & thanks for all the happy times.

RyaanECFC

True City Legend, him an Stanno will be sat up in the skies (enjoying the recent plymouth news) hopefully.

Just to confirm, ive heard he was found unconscious in his house? is this true

Oli

All so sad. All part of the ECFC family.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I believe so Ryaan, but have heard no further updates ...

GRECIANS1904

was a city mascot when Kells was playing under GF RIP Kells City legend

Brizzle_Red

So many brilliant memories. RIP Tony

steve kellow

being Tony's nephew, i can confirm that the posts stating he was found unscious are 100% NOT TRUE, despite what may have been said on thisisexeter.co.uk.facts should be known before rubbish statements are made.
Our family are very upset by this nonsense but would like to thank everybody for their kind words and tributes.
What a legend Exeter City and the Kellow family had amongst them.
RIP uncle TONY

tavyred

This Exonian has lost his childhood hero today, the only City player I was happy to pretend to be, when having a kick around with my mates 'down' Barton Fields during the seventies and eighties, absolutely gutted by this news.
Rest easy Tony Kellow...always a Grecian.