• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfers in/outs Summer of 2023 and Retained list

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Blimey. I’ll make some amends, then.
Good luck 🙂

grecIAN Harris

Das to see the three go but, for different reasons, not unexpected with all three. Sparksey hasn't quite kept pace with the progression of the club. Jamma only ever came with the intention of staying a year and Jevani........... well I think we all know what the issue is there.

Leads

What’s the definition of a scholar? I thought it was those in the 16-18 age bracket. I thought once they passed this they became full time professionals. I’m sure the likes of Ed James are 18+?

DawlishBouy

What’s the definition of a scholar? I thought it was those in the 16-18 age bracket. I thought once they passed this they became full time professionals. I’m sure the likes of Ed James are 18+?
Second year scholars are under 18 at the start of the season (I believe August 1st is the date).

Also Hants if you want this thread to serve the purpose you lay out in post #1 you need to delete posts #2 to #14 and try to make sure people stay on subject.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Second year scholars are under 18 at the start of the season (I believe August 1st is the date).

Also Hants if you want this thread to serve the purpose you lay out in post #1 you need to delete posts #2 to #14 and try to make sure people stay on subject.
Only post 1 is relevant, anything else can be discussed!

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC saying he wants a squad of 24 or 25 but I assume the first year pros won’t be included in that? I suspect most of, if not all of them, will be loaned out.

If that’s the case we have 10 or 11 spaces to fill. K Mac and Grounds may well sign on to fill a couple of those spots.

Big job for Gary this summer but looking forward to seeing what he can do with his contacts. It’s also a huge summer for people like James Scott who needs to come back a stone lighter and show that quality which got him his big move a few years ago. Kyle Taylor will hopefully be on the grass by pre season, but if not, I can see him struggling to make any kind of impact next season

I can see bids coming in for Sam and possibly Alex too and wouldn’t be shocked if we moved Josh Coley on as he’s not really good enough for L1.

In terms of incomings, I just cannot see us being able to get the likes of Stockton, Sam Smith etc. Also seen Nick Powell mentioned which is amusing as he’ll have been on massive money at Stoke. Whoever comes in will hopefully keep us progressing and keep the crowds up.

grecIAN Harris

I've just been looking to see who may be available, out of contract, to us that might just appear on our doorstep goalkeeper wise.
Mark Gillespie, Newcastle. 31 yo who may well be known to Caldwell from his days at Newcastle. IIRC, he played for Carlisle.
Joel Coleman, Ipswich. 27 yo who has been out of favour at Ipswich and is now at an age where he should be playing week in, week out.
Josh Vickers, Rotherham 27 yo in the same boat as Coleman.

andrew p long

GC saying he wants a squad of 24 or 25 but I assume the first year pros won’t be included in that? I suspect most of, if not all of them, will be loaned out.
GC was quite open about this in the latest interview.

He said re Cox and Borges 'the plan is to keep them with us' ie not be loaned out.

GC also said the aim was to have 3 keepers, so 'possibly to have Harry Lee go out on loan'

The implication was that the other new pros would be loaned out. That seems obvious and presumably includes Edgecombe as an U17.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've seen David mcgoldrick and Cameron dawson mentioned. I'm not sure what planet some of our fans live on, but it's not this one.

grecIAN Harris

I've seen David mcgoldrick and Cameron dawson mentioned. I'm not sure what planet some of our fans live on, but it's not this one.
McGoldrick has been offered a new deal by Derby so not very likely even if by some mysterious way we could actually afford him.