• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tribute to Kellow

AndyB

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else:

Memorial for Tony Kellow to be unveiled in his home village

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could we not do something similar at SJP? I would happily contribute as Kells gave me some of my happiest City memories.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Could we not do something similar at SJP? I would happily contribute as Kells gave me some of my happiest City memories.
I'd like to think maybe one of the redeveloped stands (when the redevelopment happens) might be named the Kellow Stand?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd like to think maybe one of the redeveloped stands (when the redevelopment happens) might be named the Kellow Stand?
Which would soon become the RBS - Total commitment to Saving - Kellow Stand;)

I think a subtle plaque or maybe, if resource allows, a small statue of our record goalscorer.

AndyB

Which would soon become the RBS - Total commitment to Saving - Kellow Stand;)

I think a subtle plaque or maybe, if resource allows, a small statue of our record goalscorer.
Yes, it would be great to have a small statue somewhere.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, it would be great to have a small statue somewhere.
Outside the bar on Red Square, of course!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose the main underlying issue with having a statue or similar is of where you draw the line - if Kellow is deserving of a statue (and I'm not saying he isn't), should there not also be statues dedicated to various other "legends" of City folklore - Bastin, Pym, Mitchell, Harvey, Banks, Zabek etc...?

FAN-TATIC

I suppose the main underlying issue with having a statue or similar is of where you draw the line - if Kellow is deserving of a statue (and I'm not saying he isn't), should there not also be statues dedicated to various other "legends" of City folklore - Bastin, Pym, Mitchell, Harvey, Banks, Zabek etc...?
Jason, I think you have made a good point, where does one draw the line?

For example I might be thinking if we are going to have a 'small statue' of Tony Kellow, then what about Niel Harvey. A local lad from Crediton whom I think (I might be wrong) never played professionally for anyone but City. He is
In my view one of City's greatest legends. But then of course there is Cliff Bastion and...............so on..........

AndyB

Yep, take your point, but that could be said for every football club, and plenty have statues.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, take your point, but that could be said for every football club, and plenty have statues.
I'd suggest those clubs would be a case that if you asked "Who should be immortalised with a statue", 90% of the supporters would probably say the person wot was given a statue in the end anyway.*

Bobby Moore at West Ham, for example.

Would Kellow have such unstinting support at City? I'd argue probably not. Although if there is a competition with a statue being the outcome, he may win out.

*Fulham of course notwithstanding.