• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust AGM & Election Details

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am sure that it used to be Trust policy that candidates could not make any public pronouncements in advance of the election beyond the 400 word written manifesto that will be sent out with the election papers. I believe this was intended to maintain a "level playing field".

I don't know whether that is still the case or not but I personally think that Trust members should be allowed to ask questions of candidates on any area that concerns them or is of interest to them.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Would be interesting to know how they think we do on communications, whether it needs to be improved and how to deal with commercial confidentialities.

How do we continue to grow the membership?

Is it a priority to get over 75% or 95% share ownership?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some interesting points raised on this thread, worthy, I think, of further discussion though I'm duty bound to point out that I'm speaking here as a City supporter rather than a BoS member.

If someone where to make a pledge to represent the thoughts of posters at BOS meetings, to report back on here from said meetings (well as much as they are "allowed" to anyway), and generally provide communication between Exeweb and the BOS, then they would get my vote.
I think ExeWeb is a fantastic resource which, IMO, is under utilised by both the club and Trust. To my mind, it represents a great way to communicate with a significant proportion of City fans and, at the same time, to gauge the prevailing mood. I'm not suggesting anyone should be answerable to ExeWeb but I take issue with those of my colleagues on the BoS who say we shouldn't 'waste our time and energy' responding to people who may, in any case, not be Trust members posting under nom de plumes.

For the record, myself and my BoS colleagues who do see fit to post on ExeWeb are often chastised for doing so. Indeed, on at least one occasion there has even been a move to outlaw BoS members from posting here. Should that ever come to fruition I think I'd find myself with little option but to resign; I think ExeWeb played a significant part in ensuring the club survived in the immediate aftermath of Russell and Lewis and I believe, passionately, that the Trust would do well to remember that.

Moreover, it seems to me that at a time when the Trust is often criticised for its communications there is no better medium by which to engage with members than this one - which isn't, of course, to say that we should neglect those people who don't indulge in ExeWeb.

I am sure that it used to be Trust policy that candidates could not make any public pronouncements in advance of the election beyond the 400 word written manifesto that will be sent out with the election papers. I believe this was intended to maintain a "level playing field".

I don't know whether that is still the case or not but I personally think that Trust members should be allowed to ask questions of candidates on any area that concerns them or is of interest to them.
I think you're right and it did indeed used to be the case that candidates were advised not to make any public pronouncements in advance of the election and, while I understand the thinking behind that, personally I agree that Trust members not only ought to be allowed to ask questions of candidates but ought to be positively encouraged to do so. After all, if you discover after you've elected someone that they're not up to the job in hand it's too late to do anything about it.

My only issue with this is that you must some how ensure no-one is elected on the back of promises that are, in reality, unattainable.

Would be interesting to know how they think we do on communications, whether it needs to be improved and how to deal with commercial confidentialities.

How do we continue to grow the membership?

Is it a priority to get over 75% or 95% share ownership?
More interesting discussion points. At the same time, I think everyone on the BoS, including Martin, accepts that we need to do better with our communications and I'd be surprised if anyone putting themself up for election thought differently. The problem is not one of recognising our failings as much as one of devising a strategy to remedy them within the multitude of constraints we operate under.

Last edited:

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So how do we move this forward?

Do we start two threads?

One for electronic copies of candidates personal statements and one for questions to be asked of candidates?

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some very interesting points Egg, and although I know that its not something that can be revealed, if it was to come to light which BOS members have the opinion that engaging with Exeweb is a "waste of time and energy" and who think BoS members posting on here should be outlawed, I for one would certainly never vote for them. The fact that their are those on the BoS who view engaging with the fan base (and membership) in that way is extremely worrying, although not surprising.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I think ExeWeb played a significant part in ensuring the club survived in the immediate aftermath of Russell and Lewis and I believe, passionately, that the Trust would do well to remember that.
Hear! Hear! Well said Egg!

Jim Shepherd

Why not use the Trust members Forum for such debate with prospective candidates?
Surely that is what it is there for,partly.

In this day and age we should be having live webchats with them all.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Why not use the Trust members Forum for such debate with prospective candidates?
Surely that is what it is there for,partly.

In this day and age we should be having live webchats with them all.
I was just wondering the same thing! Shouldn't be too difficult to set up and restrict to just Trust members. I'm sure all the candidates are good looking enough for this.

Jim Shepherd

I was just wondering the same thing! Shouldn't be too difficult to set up and restrict to just Trust members. I'm sure all the candidates are good looking enough for this.
Just a chat room. Don't need to know what the BoSsers look like, just what they would like to do.
Maybe just one thread for each candidate to post replies to sensibly asked questions also.
With the seemingly reduced impact of the Trust on the running of the club I don't think a 400 word manifesto is anywhere near enough for those who want to know more to make an informed choice.
May as well just vote for your mates.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Maybe just one thread for each candidate to post replies to sensibly asked questions also.
Totally agree with that Jim. A very sensible suggestion

With the seemingly reduced impact of the Trust on the running of the club I don't think a 400 word manifesto is anywhere near enough for those who want to know more to make an informed choice.
May as well just vote for your mates.
Totally agree with that too!!