• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Board to resign en masse?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
In my opinion the Trust Board should resign en masse for their abject failure to hold the Club Board to account over a number of major issues. There needs to be a quantum shift in the attitude of Trustees. This can only be achieved by the establishment of a completely new Board. The last time that a completely new Trust Board was constituted was back in 2005. Then there was a very competitive election generated by the need to get things right, and large numbers of votes were cast. The result was that we got an elected Board which was very effective, positively led by Trust Chairman Tony Badcott, who was not afraid to conduct matters of governance as they should be conducted. Clearly new Trustees are needed, particularly those with a positive commercially minded attitude and who are prepared to take any necessary remedial action. A few of the existing Trustees might be re-elected but perhaps some of the ‘old guard’ with appropriate credentials should also return. To ensure continuity of adequate governance the ‘six year rule’ has to be abandoned.

What immediate steps should the new Trustees take?

1. Return to very regular Trust Board meetings until the foundations of the Club are back on a positive footing. Forget bullsh*tting Strategic Plans and get down to the business of sorting out the mess that is currently the Trust and Club.

2. A club of our standing does not need a paid Club Chairman, particularly one who, despite the current predicament of the Club, has apparently stated (per former Trustee Adam Henley) that he is not prepared to work without payment. Get rid asap!

3. Stop payment of all other Directors’ fees. The performance of all directors since their initial appointment should be subject to the highest scrutiny. Their level of performance during the period of the Club’s fall down the pyramid is certainly questionable if not totally unacceptable. If performance is not up to the mark then dispense with the services of those that have not reached the accepted standard. In my book not many would be retained.

4. The manager (if he is still here at the time of the formation of the new Trust Board) should be given immediate notice on his two year rolling contract to minimize any later potential payoff.

5. I believe that we cannot also afford to employ a Director of Football as well as a manager. Time to go.

6. Trustees should arrange for a full VFM study of all costs at the Club to be undertaken. Costs not giving a positive return should be eliminated.

7. All Trustees should ensure that full information is given to them on any topic. The tail should no longer wag the dog. This is particularly pertinent to any pending financial problem and, of course, redevelopment, which will have a major impact on the way the future development of the Club is undertaken.

8. The Trust should take immediate steps to launch a membership drive (how about another major leaflet drop explaining the situation that the Club now finds itself in, and what it needs to do to remedy the situation?). However such a drive will only be successful if the Trust is seen to be taking positive steps such as raising money for specific capital projects instead of continually pouring into the black hole.

There are possibly plenty of other examples that new Trustees need to get to grips with and this list is certainly not exhaustive. However I think by now everyone gets my drift………

Would Trustees consider this proposal at the next meeting? Laurence, would you care to comment? If you are not prepared to put the question to existing Trustees, what are you doing to carry out the proposals that I have outlined above?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sad though it is, I fear that the vast majority of the fan base don't give a flying fig and those that do have mostly given up hoping that anything will ever change.

For myself, whilst still supporting the club as I always have and having almost certainly decided to renew my season ticket, I have cancelled my Trust subs and have diverted the money to the 'Save The Children' charity. A much more productive use of it imo.

NotDannyColes

'Trust board to resign en masse'

Really wish they would, although I can't see even that happening. Apathy.

AndyR

All good points rightwing, although whether all Trustees fall into the same bucket, I'm not sure. I was quite impressed by Laurence Overend recently, although he was inevitably severely restrained.

In any event, isn't this a similar song to that being sung by the Pitchfork group, who have resolved to come out with a "plan"?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh look, finally a thread with some common sense about it. The sad thing is the immeadiate reply from Pete is probably right. So many people have spent so long venting in the wrong direction they've run out of gumption to tackle the real problem.

hatch4england

Dream on Adrian. You are calling for a degree of self-awareness that has been totally absent thus far.
We also have an astonishing umber of commercial people of different hues.

motorservices

RW join pitchfork and help shape the future

NotDannyColes

RW join pitchfork and help shape the future
This. With those ideas you'd be very influential in a group that has the potential of being so.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This. With those ideas you'd be very influential in a group that has the potential of being so.
Looking at your Avatar makes me angry!!

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Adrian,

The 6 year rule is not an issue...any of the old guard can put themselves up for election next October.

The only current member of the board who would stay on would be roger Conway...not high on many peoples list of bossers to be retained.

Can't see it happening myself...