• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Elections 2023

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
For those of us not there today, can anyone remind/tell me whether/when the presentations from today will be available to view?

tom_ecfc

Intrigued to hear about these schemes - IMO it needs a real big hitter of an idea to be pulled out of the bag

Maybe a deal with a big national company might be it, but it needs to be more than just sponsorship I think
Remember we were looking for someone to sponsor the stadium 😉

*Catching up and seen this has been mentioned a few hours ago.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite. And aside from our fan / community orientation, and burgeoning green credentials, we have a community trust undertaking all sorts of fantastic work across the city and beyond. With the right people at the helm, I’d have thought it’s altogether possible one or two big organisations might jump at the chance to benefit from the association.
As someone who has been involved previously in the mutual and co-operative sector there is definately scope to develop partnerships. However, the kind of big bucks money would take a number of years of partnership building to generate. That's not to say we shouldn't try but I don't think people should get their hopes set too high. the only real example I can give of any significant investment from a mutual is Nationwide's support for the England team. However, the reach and branding generated from that deal really isn't in any way comparable with anything a relationship with ECFC is going to bring! I have messaged Jeremy with some contacts to explore but any fruits will take longer than two years to come to fruition. Maybe Dale Vince may lose interest in his non league club soon?

Colesman Ballz

As someone who has been involved previously in the mutual and co-operative sector there is definately scope to develop partnerships. However, the kind of big bucks money would take a number of years of partnership building to generate. That's not to say we shouldn't try but I don't think people should get their hopes set too high. the only real example I can give of any significant investment from a mutual is Nationwide's support for the England team. However, the reach and branding generated from that deal really isn't in any way comparable with anything a relationship with ECFC is going to bring! I have messaged Jeremy with some contacts to explore but any fruits will take longer than two years to come to fruition. Maybe Dale Vince may lose interest in his non league club soon?
Buggered if I would want to give up my Kenniford Farm Hogroast baps or my Chunks Pasties for rabbit food ! :p

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its 900k in one year so it would be millions to be sustainable
But that 900k 'loss' presumably includes money that went towards the training ground. There are no major infrastructure projects requiring major amounts of cash in the near future so I'd have thought the amount needed to break-even would be less.

Jeez, put it into context. Transfer income comes in by installments. We are told at the start of the season that the current additional playing budget was guaranteed for a further three years (before Ampadu's move and the sale of Nombe) . So the statement that without transfer income there would be a projected 900k loss this year should be no surprise. Money is only being spent in the full knowledge that installments are coming in to cover it. The essence of what was said today that the plan is to grow income over the next two years to the point where we are no longer dependent on transfer income to balance our budget. Going forward transfer income can then instead be applied wherever we want to, for example on infrastructure projects, transfer fees etc.
Exactly, and this is why talking about annual profit and loss is so unhelpful for a business like City where any loss is always funded from previous profits. This is why people who know about these things tend to look at cash flow as a more important indicator of sustainability ie does the business have enough access to cash to fund its future commitments.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite worrying this, especially in light of the youths recent drubbing at the hands of Hemel Hempstead. If we haven’t got regular prospects coming through it’s hard to see us staying at this level (or challenging in the one below). Glad to hear we’re improving the academy to keep up with argyle and the Bristol clubs mind
The Youth Cup loss was a concern but should be noted that neither of our two most promising under-18's played in the match.

I can’t see where the next £100k incoming fee is coming from let alone anything more sizeable.

I’d be surprised if there is any significant interest in the current squad and where does that leave us?
This is why it should be a massive priority to get Lee and Cox signed up to longer contracts. Yes, they are both unproven but it would still be a huge blow if they were able to leave for free next summer.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think some greater insight into how much income we generate and where it’s spent would be really useful.

I think a greater understanding for all would also help manage expectations.

We’ve raised £3/4m+ in transfer fees recently and still seem to be skint? Why?
But how much of that transfer income have we received so far. I'm assuming all 4 of the recent deals will be received in installments but probably only Archie was sorted soon enough to have an impact on our playing budget for this season. I've no idea what the rules are about when sell-on clauses have to be paid but I can't imagine Chelsea have been rushing to send us our share of the Ethan money. And we all know how ludicrous it is that we're still waiting for Josh's transfer tribunal.
It's great that the Trust are now starting to use some of their cash reserve to loan money to the club while they wait to receive guaranteed future income but this can only go so far.

Alistair20000

But that 900k 'loss' presumably includes money that went towards the training ground. There are no major infrastructure projects requiring major amounts of cash in the near future so I'd have thought the amount needed to break-even would be less.

Exactly, and this is why talking about annual profit and loss is so unhelpful for a business like City where any loss is always funded from previous profits. This is why people who know about these things tend to look at cash flow as a more important indicator of sustainability ie does the business have enough access to cash to fund its future commitments.
The expenditure on the training ground is probably capital expenditure that would not hit the profit and loss account unless it was written off as repairs and renewals. Instead it would be added to the balance sheet as an asset with an annual depreciation charge.

We can scratch our heads, ponder and speculate all we wish about the make up of the £900K loss. We need to see the detailed figures if we are to understand properly and I hope there is a fans forum on the final Club accounts to 31 May 2023.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The expenditure on the training ground is probably capital expenditure that would not hit the profit and loss account unless it was written off as repairs and renewals. Instead it would be added to the balance sheet as an asset with an annual depreciation charge.

We can scratch our heads, ponder and speculate all we wish about the make up of the £900K loss. We need to see the detailed figures if we are to understand properly and I hope there is a fans forum on the final Club accounts to 31 May 2023.
Thanks for this. I am absolutely not an accountant so the details of this stuff is beyond me. A very detailed report was published earlier this year so I assume we will get the same next year.

Phillip

Thanks for this. I am absolutely not an accountant so the details of this stuff is beyond me. A very detailed report was published earlier this year so I assume we will get the same next year.
Yes. The CFO said it was one of his priorities going forward.