• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
You are Tony Blair and I claim………..you know the rest. 🤣
You can laugh Tavy but trying to go down that poster route farage used to try and scare people is laughable, Remember when other EU countries were allowed to come in, The Mail, Express etc all camped at airports and ferry ports waiting for the masses and it NEVER happened.

tavyred

You can laugh Tavy but trying to go down that poster route farage used to try and scare people is laughable, Remember when other EU countries were allowed to come in, The Mail, Express etc all camped at airports and ferry ports waiting for the masses and it NEVER happened.
I don’t know what any of the means, but your argument seems to be that wage parity will mean the draw to come here from the likes of Romania will mean they’ll stop at home, considering we’re nowhere near that eventuality, it’s a bit of a moot point is it not?
We’ve not even talked about the comparative welfare systems on offer yet either. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

I don’t know what any of the means, but your argument seems to be that wage parity will mean the draw to come here from the likes of Romania will mean they’ll stop at home, considering we’re nowhere near that eventuality, it’s a bit of a moot point is it not?
We’ve not even talked about the comparative welfare systems on offer yet either. 🤷‍♂️
You said about "Romanians etc all" flooding back if FOM came back, My view (Which you laughed at) is those Eastern European countries are not the same as when they did come over here, Their standard of living has increased 10 fold compared to the past and gets better each year. As for welfare systems, We have compared to other EU nation some of the lowest hand outs. Again using the "Coming over here just for the Benefits etc" is right out of the UKIP/BrexitParty/Reform Party hand book, Just scare the country, That'll do.

Radio Free Skaro

It is indeed the height of stupidity to pretend you’re the party of low immigration and promise to ‘stop the boats’ when you’ve wilfully overseen a 4 million population increase in 14 short years and you refuse to sideline a foreign based court who you acknowledge and you want to make judgments that supersedes U.K. courts. When Cameron complains about Farage destroying the Tory party, he spectacularly misses the point.
This all falls into Labour’s lap soon of course, oh to be fly on the wall in the Treasury when the soon to be hapless RR asks how our long term economic growth is looking and gets told that unless she lets in a couple of million new Brits she’s screwed! 😎
They will provide a note saying sorry there's no money left!

tavyred

You said about "Romanians etc all" flooding back if FOM came back, My view (Which you laughed at) is those Eastern European countries are not the same as when they did come over here, Their standard of living has increased 10 fold compared to the past and gets better each year. As for welfare systems, We have compared to other EU nation some of the lowest hand outs. Again using the "Coming over here just for the Benefits etc" is right out of the UKIP/BrexitParty/Reform Party hand book, Just scare the country, That'll do.
The pejorative language about ‘flooding in just for the benefits’ is yours not mine.
I’m saying the draw for Eastern Europeans to come here is still substantial, you’ve not provided any information that I can see to change my mind.
Lest we forget also that Albania and Ukraine are both candidate countries for EU accession as well. 🤷‍♂️

elginCity

The pejorative language about ‘flooding in just for the benefits’ is yours not mine.
You were just very careful not to frame it in such a way, Tav, well done.

tavyred

You were just very careful not to frame it in such a way, Tav, well done.
I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t!🤷‍♂️

So then Elgy, does SKS get a commitment to rejoin the single market (and ergo FOM) past the voters in 2029?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I’m saying the draw for Eastern Europeans to come here is still substantial, you’ve not provided any information that I can see to change my mind.
Lest we forget also that Albania and Ukraine are both candidate countries for EU accession as well. 🤷‍♂️
No one has tried changing your mind. It’s a complete waste of time.

It’s like a skid mark that no detergent, or temperature, will shift. One for the bin.

tavyred

I wish posters would just argue the substantive point. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

That is the language of your (For now) Glorious Leader Farage and you're in the camp that all our ills in the UK is down to immigration.