• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, that kind of stuff ⬆
I think you need to think about the meaning of vilification and to accept the facts. Even if these don’t fit your agenda.

Mr Jinx

A interesting interview with Rory Stewart on LBC a few days ago. He was making progress as Prisons Minister but was shifted somewhere else after a year. He said a Minister in that job(& most others) should be in situ for at least 2 years if not more to see changes implemented.

Another interesting insight from Stewart was when he was shifted over to international development. He saw Boris Johnson who was Foreign Secretary.

BJ “What’s the capital of Uganda, Rory ?”
RS “why the question ?”
BJ “ I want you in charge of the African part of the International Development Dept ”.
RS “ My expertises is in the Middle East, I speak their languages, lived there for 3 years, & was Governor of a province in Iraq. Why not there ? I’ve only visited Africa once”
BJ “ It’s Kampala Rory. Africa will be your remit”

Johnson did not want someone in the Middle East who knew a lot more about the area than he did.
It's quite clear now that Rory Stewart was always in the wrong party. He was LibDem stooge.

Mr Jinx

That migrant boat thing at Glastonbury is in pretty poor taste imo.
A few more hundred thousand votes in the bag for Reform.

Mr Jinx

Exit poll suggests the arrogant strutting Macron has come seriously unstuck.

Expect manoeuvres now to keep RN out in the second round.

Looks like the extreme parties on left and right will pick up 60% of the votes.
Like that was ever in doubt.

The electoral system in France (like here) is still likely to keep Le Pen's bunch from power, however.

Alistair20000

The electoral system in France (like here) is still likely to keep Le Pen's bunch from power, however.
Le Pen’s economic policies are preposterous nonsense as are those of the assorted coalition of leftist nutters led by Melanchon. So maybe just as well RN may not get an overall majority.

I did laugh when I heard Macron effectively telling voters to support the loony lefties to keep out RN

Pray for France.

tavyred

Europeans are telling their politicians they do not want the chaos of illegal immigration. I’m not sure the penny has dropped with the likes of Macron yet. Not that it matters, he’s yesterday’s man.

arthur

Why should they be in power? They got a mighty one third of the vote. Tavy will be along shortly to give you a lecture on how to be a democrat

arthur

Le Pen’s economic policies are preposterous nonsense as are those of the assorted coalition of leftist nutters led by Melanchon. So maybe just as well RN may not get an overall majority.

I did laugh when I heard Macron effectively telling voters to support the loony lefties to keep out RN

Pray for France.
The left coalition is not led by Melenchon. But then you know that.

Alistair20000

The left coalition is not led by Melenchon. But then you know that.
He is the prime mover. Leading that rabble is a contradiction in terms anyway.

Alistair20000

Why should they be in power? They got a mighty one third of the vote. Tavy will be along shortly to give you a lecture on how to be a democrat
The Reverend (now Cardinal) Blair picked up a 66 seat overall majority with 35.2% of the popular vote in 2005.

Just a thought like