• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Legohead

Banned
Whatever spin you want to put on it, it's accurate to say the UK is not viewed by the rest of the world as an exemplar model in how to deal with a pandemic.

Nuff said.
I think given the lettuces that are steering the ship at this current moment you can understand why. Not one of them fills you with confidence. I can't take any of them seriously. They are like spoof comedy characters.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Employer provided Covid tests to be treated as payment in kind by HMRC

How wonderfully TORY!!!

"Bring us your sick and your poor....and we'll tax them until their pips squeak"

Mind you, the bloated fat cats won't be touched will they - they'll book THEIR tests through their tax-haven "shell companies"...and almost certainly get their accountants to claim the VAT back as well! And the Cabinet Members will almost certainly claim theirs back through parliamentary "exes"...along with the moats and bird-houses!
#YOU'REallinittogether

(Care to comment, Tavy lad?)

Legohead

Banned
Anyway, just had a bit of bad news. Partners mum is in Rotherham hospital after a fall in the night. She's only just been found by a visiting nurse this afternoon. She's 80 and frail. South Yorkshire is Covid friendly at the minute so we are concerned. She's ok but will need assessing now for care in the home etc. Are people still reluctant to visit hospitals for things? I had a text from my GP today for my annual bloods etc but I don't want to go in.

Grecian2K

Tough call there Lego mate. Ultimately the choice has to be yours but wish all of you the best whatever you decide.

IMHO probably just as much (if not more) safe in a medical environment - at least they are professionally geared up on what to do...unlike many shops/barbers/pubs etc.

IndoMike

Anyway, just had a bit of bad news. Partners mum is in Rotherham hospital after a fall in the night. She's only just been found by a visiting nurse this afternoon. She's 80 and frail. South Yorkshire is Covid friendly at the minute so we are concerned. She's ok but will need assessing now for care in the home etc. Are people still reluctant to visit hospitals for things? I had a text from my GP today for my annual bloods etc but I don't want to go in.
You'd think you could do the blood test at home and send it in. If I were you I'd go in, but it's your decision.
Sorry about your partner's mum.

DB9

Sorry to hear that Lego, I'm sure any hospital/care home will have a plan in place for this situation as I'm sure lots of people, Especially the elderly still would be admitted with falls, illness etc. Contact the hospital and they'll tell you what you can or can't do. Best wishes to your partners mum (y)

elginCity

I visited a hospital this morning; everyone masked up inside the hospital and outside, taking the threat very seriously.

IndoMike

How wonderfully TORY!!!

"Bring us your sick and your poor....and we'll tax them until their pips squeak"

Mind you, the bloated fat cats won't be touched will they - they'll book THEIR tests through their tax-haven "shell companies"...and almost certainly get their accountants to claim the VAT back as well! And the Cabinet Members will almost certainly claim theirs back through parliamentary "exes"...along with the moats and bird-houses!
#YOU'REallinittogether

(Care to comment, Tavy lad?)
Unbelievable

Rosencrantz

I think given the lettuces that are steering the ship at this current moment you can understand why. Not one of them fills you with confidence. I can't take any of them seriously. They are like spoof comedy characters.
Oddly enough I came across the following quotes the other day.

"His critics have attributed this to his inability or reluctance to think measures through and examine their implications before announcing them...success is measured by an ability to formulate attractive sounding ideas and encapsulate them in catchy phrases (at which he is expert) without ever having to draft legislation...it is certainly true that his professional career in journalism had never required him to engage with the relatively tedious and unglamorous task of motivating staff, controlling budgets or running even the smallest of departments, nor with the acceptance of managerial responsibility for anything."

All written about the Rt Hon James Hacker MP of course (although it seems possible that it was drafted by Sir Humphrey!)

Grecian2K

Oddly enough I came across the following quotes the other day.

"His critics have attributed this to his inability or reluctance to think measures through and examine their implications before announcing them...success is measured by an ability to formulate attractive sounding ideas and encapsulate them in catchy phrases (at which he is expert) without ever having to draft legislation...it is certainly true that his professional career in journalism had never required him to engage with the relatively tedious and unglamorous task of motivating staff, controlling budgets or running even the smallest of departments, nor with the acceptance of managerial responsibility for anything."

All written about the Rt Hon James Hacker MP of course (although it seems possible that it was drafted by Sir Humphrey!)
And handed out by Malcolm Tucker? (or, more likely, the Demonic Cum-spreader??)