• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Rekeem Harper (gone to Burton)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT's post match comments led me to believe that Rekeem will come in as a 'ball playing' midfielder, and that we need more control in the middle of the park in this league.

I'm my eyes, that would affect Dieng. And actually, although this may not be popular with some, I don't think he's stepped up to league one well.

Thoughts?
I tend to agree. I like Dieng. His goal tally last season was incredible. He does some good work breaking up play too. However, he's not the quickest getting around the pitch and although it's early days I can see that he could struggle with that aspect. I can see him being used more as an option off the bench if Harper lives up to his potential.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Again, I think stories of MJ's demise are much exaggerated.

He scored nine goals in the second half of last season and, despite limited opportunities this time around, already has a goal [versus Cheltenham] and an assist [Archie Collins versus Wycombe] to his name.

As an aside, I think it's probably gonna be more difficult for the established players, such as Matt, to shine in the cup games when the squad depth is, plainly, not what it has been in recent years and they find themselves lining up with untried youngsters. Injuries aside, last year we could have put out two decent XIs, this year not so much.
Agreed, and I think therein lies the current disappointment. As a League Two club last year we had a stronger squad and two decent XIs, whereas now as a League One club we are desperately short. Hopefully MT can rectify this within the next 24 hrs, but I do think we shouldn't have allowed it to have gotten to this stage in all honesty!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed, and I think therein lies the current disappointment. As a League Two club last year we had a stronger squad and two decent XIs, whereas now as a League One club we are desperately short. Hopefully MT can rectify this within the next 24 hrs, but I do think we shouldn't have allowed it to have gotten to this stage in all honesty!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
How did we let it get to this stage?

ExmouthMart

I still hope that Tim Dieng rediscovers the form that made him such an important player for us last season. However, he lacks pace and that is a big disadvantage for a box to box midfielder - one which gets more difficult to cover for the higher you play.
Sparkes lacks real pace but he’s not doing too badly this season. Don’t Collins and Kite do the donkey work anyway?! Dieng is the one who picks a pass and gets on the end of crosses to score goals. Harper gives us more physicality hopefully and gives us options and the elusive plan B.

ExmouthMart

How did we let it get to this stage?
No money, players prefer the big Cities or The North. Take your pick…..

iscalad

No money, players prefer the big Cities or The North. Take your pick…..
Well, hardly our fault.

ExmouthMart

Well, hardly our fault.
True but that’s the way it is. Hopefully Harper can get up to speed quickly. Bit worrying that Taylor regularly says players need x amount of matches to learn our ways etc. or need to adjust to the step up from U23 football. Shows where we are with signings and what our budget gets us.

Sparkes lacks real pace but he’s not doing too badly this season. Don’t Collins and Kite do the donkey work anyway?! Dieng is the one who picks a pass and gets on the end of crosses to score goals. Harper gives us more physicality hopefully and gives us options and the elusive plan B.
If Dieng is 'picking passes' and 'getting on the end of crosses' it suggests he's a box to box midfielder, which was kinda my point - having pace might be useful in this role.

Anyway I hope Tim comes good this season, pace or no pace.

Red Devon

Harper received and used the ball quite well last night apart from that one moment.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still hope that Tim Dieng rediscovers the form that made him such an important player for us last season. However, he lacks pace and that is a big disadvantage for a box to box midfielder - one which gets more difficult to cover for the higher you play.
I thought Tim played quite well last Saturday; it was a tough midfield battle with both teams trying to play a high internsity pressing game and all 3 City midfielders made sure Accrington weren't able to come out on top - that then meant there was a bit more space for Rakeem to try and exploit when he came on.