• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Well that minute silence was a bit different

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The chap is an old soldier and was seen at the boot sale last sunday selling poppies with all his medals on his blazer and his company cap on. He has the right in my opinion to be able to commemorate his fallen colleagues in any which way which feels best for him.
No, he doesn't. The minute's silence has to mean exactly that.

so did the people who thought it was disrespectful not have a minutes silence on thurdsday 11th november or do you need to go to a football game to be told to have one? Basically your saying if you had not attended the game you would of not shown any respect whats so ever?

Full marks to the bloke and if he served for his country then he deserves a clap alone for that. I think the bloke in the flybe is more of a c*nt as someone else has said.

Respect to him and other vet's

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I found the poem moving, what I found disrespectful was the c*nt in the Flybe who shouted to him to shut his gob.
I can only think that the culprit in the Flybe stand didn't recognise the poem. It wasn't until the end of the first line that I could clearly recognise what he was saying. I thought it was a very nice touch, and also very moving indeed.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
so did the people who thought it was disrespectful not have a minutes silence on thurdsday 11th november or do you need to go to a football game to be told to have one? Basically your saying if you had not attended the game you would of not shown any respect whats so ever?
No one has said its disrespectful..Wrong timing.....I was in the Flybe(at the SJ rd end) & it just sounded like someone was talking over the minutes silence & that causes other people to break the silence,with calls etc..

Its a FA instruction for the minutes silence..The official silence is of course at 11am on the 11th of November.Armistice Day.That i & many others observed..

bumble1976

Looking up optimistically...unless I get depressed
Don't think the guy is being disrespectful...for a start, I think you need to be deliberately trying to derail the minute's silence in a negative way to be disrepectful, and if we can agree on one thing here, it was surely done with honest good intention (regardless of what people feel about its impact).

As for my opinion, I witnessed it at Nuneaton and had the same initial reaction to some people yesterday no doubt (being, what the eff is happening here...someone shut him up...followed swiftly by that moment of realisation). Note to self for bloke in Flybe who told him to shut up...think a little longer before reacting (though he was probably - again with the best of intentions - trying to show his respect by disapproving of what HE felt was someone spoling an important silence).

If this old boy has done what we think he has, if he has fought for his country and seen the horrors of war...then who am I to judge his tribute. What do I know about war?

Without you, kind sir, this country would be a very very different place today and I, for one, salute you...we all owe you a great debt and the least we can allow you is to pay your tribute in this way. It wasn't that much of a disruption after all.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought it was great - Fair play to the chap. Apparently the poem was quite clearly heard by Notts County supporters. Very moving.

happygrecian

This guy did exactly the same last year - but can't remember if it was at home or at Nuneaton, so I'll take yer word that it was away.

The sad thing about it was that so many didn't recognise the poem

exeips

It was away at Nuneaton.

Cravat 2

I thought it was good in the circumstances that the noise from the cheerleaders (if it was them) was ruining the silence.

Macca

I was sat at the SJR end of the flybe and could hear the old boy loud and clear despite the cheerleaders behind me making a racket.

It was a beautiful, touching moment where a veteran that stands amongst us on matchdays was remembering and paying his respects to his fallen brothers in arms.

It deeply concerns me that someone would find this disrespectful, and displays a complete lack of understanding of those that gave their today for our tomorrow.