• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We've got a play off challenging side

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we manage to retain/sign onto permanents and all stay fit, I think the team below is in contention for the play offs. Fitzwater and Watts are obviously big question marks but I wanted to make it as much as the current squad as possible. Didn't include the likes of Sinisalo, Rankine and Harris cause there is no chance.

Discuss

New GK / Lee
Niskanen - Sweeney - Diabate - Jules - Purrington
Woods - Cole
Aitchison - Demi
Cox

Subs: Aimson, Eisa, Alli, Harper, Fitzwater, Watts, Carroll

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we manage to retain/sign onto permanents and all stay fit, I think the team below is in contention for the play offs. Fitzwater and Watts are obviously big question marks but I wanted to make it as much as the current squad as possible. Didn't include the likes of Sinisalo, Rankine and Harris cause there is no chance.

Discuss

New GK / Lee
Woods - Cole
Aitchison - Demi
Cox

I will have 30 of whatever you're on

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's codswallop. As much as I'm an optimist, you must be a huge pessimist. Our squad is better than league 2
No team will get promoted from any league creating as few chances as we do. Whether that's down to the quality of the squad or the manager's tactics is (apparently) up for debate.

STURTZ

Admire the optimism of the OP, consider this.

Take out the 13 match period when, due to a horrendous injury list, we failed to win and picked up a paltry 3 points. Over the rest of the season we have gained 41 points in 22 games, an average of 1.87 points per game. Apply that points average to the winless run and we'd have at least an extra 21 points.

65 points, enough to be in the play off zone.

Alistair20000

Discuss

New GK / Lee
Woods - Cole
Aitchison - Demi
Cox

Good morning Gary.

Is the sun shining in Alderley Edge ?

Grecian2K

They don't have relegation play-offs in the EFL any more
Perhaps the opening poster was thinking of Scotland?

grecIAN Harris

Discuss

New GK / Lee
Woods - Cole
Aitchison - Demi
Cox

I think you'd need better suited players in the wide areas, somebody like Dean Moxey who knew how to the job out there in both directions. Aimson starts instead of Diabate and for as long as Caldwell is in charge with his style of play, Chieck has some major improving to do on the ball if he is to be any part of the side. Love Sweenz as we all do, I think an upgrade there might be in order. Maybe a destroyer in midfield for when the needs require. A bit more variation up front wouldn't go amiss. As a squad we would need to improve on our physicality. Even when you compare us to Peterborough, who are probably the youngest side in the promotion/play-off race, their general physicality is so much better than ours. When you compare us to the likes of Derby and Bolton it's almost men against boys.

Mid Devon Grecian

Take out the 13 match period when, due to a horrendous injury list, we failed to win and picked up a paltry 3 points. Over the rest of the season we have gained 41 points in 22 games, an average of 1.87 points per game. Apply that points average to the winless run and we'd have at least an extra 21 points.

Maybe we could also knock off all the late winners scored against us…oh and any late equalisers…..I reckon we’d be top 4 Premier League in no time. Probs win the Champions League in the next 5 years 😉

fred binneys head

So, other than when we’re shit, we’re quite good?

manc grecian

I wonder if there's a similar thread on the carlisle forum