• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster

Banksy

1703757137052.jpeg

Alistair20000

I have just started to read this

t1703760977557.jpeg

Banksy

Just started first of a fantasy series, ‘Malice’ by John Gwynne . Doesn’t seem a bad read so far , long book at six hundred pages.It’s been likened to the writings of the late great fantasy writer David Gemmell and George RR Martin of Game of Thrones fame.We’ll see…..

berniesworld

If you like historical fiction Rory Clements writes a fantastic yarn. He has his new book out in January call Munich Wolf.

I’ve read quite a few of his and had this one from Mrs Berniesworld for Xmas.

IMG_0853.jpeg

Banksy

If you like historical fiction Rory Clements writes a fantastic yarn. He has his new book out in January call Munich Wolf.

I’ve read quite a few of his and had this one from Mrs Berniesworld for Xmas.

View attachment 14314
Looks interesting , let us know what you think later Bernie!

Steve H

Bought 13 of the Sharpe series at Trago for £1.50 each.... Should keep me busy for a few months

Rosencrantz

Bought 13 of the Sharpe series at Trago for £1.50 each.... Should keep me busy for a few months
I'd love to read them again for the first time. Got the lot and love them. They have given me a lasting fascination with Napoleonic times, but especially the Peninsula War.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd love to read them again for the first time. Got the lot and love them. They have given me a lasting fascination with Napoleonic times, but especially the Peninsula War.
Are you chaps familiar with the biographies/autobiographies of common soldiers who were present at the actual battles where Sharpe fought? If not I can thoroughly recommend A Dorset Rifleman by Benjamin Harris, Adventures of a Soldier; or Memoirs of Edward Costello and 25 Years in the Rifle Brigade by William Surtees.

There are many accounts of the Napoleonic Wars written by officers but few by foot soldiers and I believe Bernard Cornwell drew on events described in these books for some of his Sharpe stories.

Rosencrantz

Are you chaps familiar with the biographies/autobiographies of common soldiers who were present at the actual battles where Sharpe fought? If not I can thoroughly recommend A Dorset Rifleman by Benjamin Harris, Adventures of a Soldier; or Memoirs of Edward Costello and 25 Years in the Rifle Brigade by William Surtees.

There are many accounts of the Napoleonic Wars written by officers but few by foot soldiers and I believe Bernard Cornwell drew on events described in these books for some of his Sharpe stories.
I have read the Edward Costello one (got it from the library a long time ago) and have heard of the Benjamin Harris one (a bit of a nod from Bernard Cornwell with Rifleman Harris?). Will look the other one up.