• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What date will we be back watching live football at SJP Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fareham Grecian

I'd be surprised if Devon / Exeter wasn't put in Tier 2 anyway. So makes the 4,000 argument irrelevant

I think virtually the whole country will be put in Tier 2, with the spikey areas in the Midlands, North and parts of Kent stuck in 3.
Sky reported yesterday morning that no. 10 had briefed that the whole country would be at least in tier 2. Odd that it wasn’t reported anywhere else and may of course turn out to be untrue - the joy of a government that communicates almost entirely via unattributable briefings to its press mouthpieces...

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd be surprised if Devon / Exeter wasn't put in Tier 2 anyway. So makes the 4,000 argument irrelevant

I think virtually the whole country will be put in Tier 2, with the spikey areas in the Midlands, North and parts of Kent stuck in 3.
I think the 4 000 is irrelevant anyway. I don't think this was in the original announcement but apparently our maximum will be whichever is lower - the socially distanced capacity of the ground or 4 000 if we are in tier 1. How the socially distanced capacity is calculated is not exactly clear and I don't think there has been any official communication of what it will be at St James Park but I think it's safe to assume it will be significantly less than 4 000.

Trapdoor

I think it's overly prescriptive.

If you're not comfortable with being less than 2m from someone just don't go to the game.

Last time I went to the supermarket it was absolutely rammed and at one point I could have touched at least 5 complete strangers without even moving. Had to move away because they clearly didn't give a damn about social distancing. That's the state of every day activities indoors so I think it's bonkers to be so prescriptive about outdoor activities, even if it's non essential.

If you are worried about covid, don't attend non-essential social activities like football. Simples.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
We're not going to get any consistency on these matters, arbitrary decisions it will be. Might be worth engaging your MP, or is he a Chiefs fan?
I tried engaging with him regarding lockdown measures.

Waste of time, ignored all my points of discussion and sent me a template email bashing the Tories and echoing Labour's national policy.

He is nothing more than a mouthpiece for Kier, I guess if you're not an independent it comes with the role; lose all sense of personal autonomy, toe the party line, and your job is safe.

This whole Covid debacle has really highlighted to me how little free thought politicians actually possess, or at least their abundant lack of courage in actually acting on personal principles.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tried engaging with him regarding lockdown measures.

Waste of time, ignored all my points of discussion and sent me a template email bashing the Tories and echoing Labour's national policy.

He is nothing more than a mouthpiece for Kier, I guess if you're not an independent it comes with the role; lose all sense of personal autonomy, toe the party line, and your job is safe.

This whole Covid debacle has really highlighted to me how little free thought politicians actually possess, or at least their abundant lack of courage in actually acting on personal principles.
I wrote to my local (Tory) MP about the same a few weeks ago. Expected a non-reply or a copy and paste job but I received a long reply, addressing my actual points. I then received a reply to my reply by return. I was actually quite impressed. I will be interested to see which way he votes tomorrow.

tonykellowfan

Some MPs are better than others simple as that. Same in all walks of life. Some plumbers are better than others etc.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
Some MPs are better than others simple as that. Same in all walks of life. Some plumbers are better than others etc.
I am sure Ben is a good MP in many ways, as well as an admirable person, I have nothing against him personally. I'm sure his job is very challenging too.

It's just from my observations that when sh*t well and truly hits the fan, most of them have no idea what to do, and are as weak as a gnat's fart. The first PM I remember is John Major, so Thatcher was before my time. However, I know how polarising she was, but you can't say she didn't push her agenda through without strength and conviction.

Anyway this isn't a politics thread.

Nigel E

I don't think this was in the original announcement but apparently our maximum will be whichever is lower - the socially distanced capacity of the ground or 4 000 if we are in tier 1. How the socially distanced capacity is calculated is not exactly clear and I don't think there has been any official communication of what it will be at St James Park but I think it's safe to assume it will be significantly less than 4 000.
One of the problems with Government communications departments generally - not just in the pandemic - is they *always* over simplify the message, often to the point of making it inaccurate. They *always* prioritise media-friendliness over public information accuracy. This isn't a political swipe, it happens under every Government.

I guarantee there was someone at the Sports Ground Safety Authority absolutely fuming about this important criterion not making it into the press release.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Clearly, it's vital ICU beds should be available. At the same time, lots of people with COVID are now occupying non ICU beds meaning in some places all but the most urgent operations are being cancelled. The issue in the SW, particularly here in Devon, is we have relatively few hospital beds when you consider the elderly demographic.

Notwithstanding all that, it seems to me whoever created this graph has deliberately set out to mislead. If they're talking about patients in ICU beds why not make that clear?!
Nearly 5 million population in the South West with just over 1000 in hospital with Covid Symptoms....Do you know what that is as a percentage? Let me help you...5 times that would be only 1%....

jimmy

Nearly 5 million population in the South West with just over 1000 in hospital with Covid Symptoms....Do you know what that is as a percentage? Let me help you...5 times that would be only 1%....
It would be 0.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.